Pool pump motor replacement

Apr 1, 2017
Brockton, MA
Just bought a Century motor 1 HP to replace my Hayward super pump motor. I followed all the directions for installation . The pump does turn on for a few seconds then turns of. The pump also will not prime even after I added water to the pump. I know Fira fact that it is a compatible pump for my Hayward. Does anyone have a similar experience. I don’t know if I should just return the pump at this point.
I also have an added problem of a very nasty green pool with pump not running. Please help!

A little more info will help answer your question. Is the pump on a timer? When it turns off, does it trip the breaker? Is it a GFI breaker? How do you turn it back on? How do you know it doesn't prime if it only runs for a few seconds?

A little more info will help answer your question. Is the pump on a timer? When it turns off, does it trip the breaker? Is it a GFI breaker? How do you turn it back on? How do you know it doesn't prime if it only runs for a few seconds?
The pump is on a timer. When it turns off it doesn’t trip the breaker. It turn on manually with the timer switch for now. It is a GFI breaker. I change all the seals and gaskets with the new motor. It is set now at 125V. It came set up for 230V. I only had to rotate the dial to 125V. I have a single pole for the pump on the circuit.
I don’t if the new motor itself is defective. It does start but for some reasons shuts off before it gets the water going.
I don’t know why this is happening? Meanwhile my pool is a green swamp.
Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.