pool pump losing prime

mubz

Jan 31, 2016
South Africa
hi Guys, I have a problem with my pool pump/cleaner and hope someone can point me to the right direction

I was currently using a pentair kreepy dominator/rebel 2 wheel pool cleaner, which was working fine
until recently it started failing, gears seemed to have worn out, however pool pump was working
correctly with no issues..

trouble started when i bought a new classic kreepy krauly (hammer action type)
once i installed the new kreepy, i noticed that everytime the pool pump switched off, it would lose
prime immediately.( can actually hear a wooshing sound, as the water in the strainer basket gets sucked out once switched off) leaving the strainer basket half full.

now when the pump starts again, it needs to prime 1st, and i notice lots of air bubbles being pushed out the return jets

now my question is, why is the pump losing prime only with the new kreepy, nothing else was changed
besides the head cleaner.as soon as i put my old kreepy back in, the the pump behaves like normal and doesn't lose prime

i have a smallish pool of about 16k litre with a superflo 80 2bag filter and a 0.55kw pump

Hello,
Welcome to the forums. Air is getting into the system some how. The trick is figuring out how/where. It could be a small pinhole size leak on the hose.
The air coming out of the returns is the air that is getting into the system being push through the piping.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.