dalu

Aug 3, 2022
mi
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Looking for some opinions from somebody who maybe has some experience with a similar decision. I'm in the process of installing the permanent electrical connections for the pump. The pump is currently sitting right next to the pool at the end of the new deck addition I'm also building.

NEC tells me I need a permanent receptacle at least 6 foot from the pool and can have a maximum 3 foot cord to the pump. I'm planning to power the pump outlet from an unused 50 amp hot tub service panel on the side of the house, routing the conduit along the underside of the deck joists. I was originally planning on leaving the pump and filter right where it is and putting the outlet on end of the deck so i don't need to bury anything. However, I can't do that and meet the above distance/cord length requirements, so I would need to run the conduit from the underside of the deck joist underground to a post. I don't like the post outside the deck like that though. Pictures to help visualize this below:

1663883995831.png

1663884503132.png

Sorry to break this into two posts, but I wanted to make sure the pictures showed in the right places. The alternative I've considering is moving the pump to the side of the deck so I can meet the 6 foot requirement without the buried conduit or the post. Something like this:

1663885260200.png
1663885334657.png

First, is there any issues I'm missing with either of these options?
Any benefits to either option?
Any other considerations I should be thinking about?

Last edited:
Is the 50 amp breaker GFCI?

What size wire will you be using in the conduit to the pump?

For safety I prefer the pump be back from the pool like in the pic below...

1663885260200-png.454612

Is the 50 amp breaker GFCI?

What size wire will you be using in the conduit to the pump?

For safety I prefer the pump be back from the pool like in the pic below...
Thank you! ( I just realized I drew the water line from skimmer to filter instead of to motor...twice.)

I believe the 50 amp breaker in the sub panel is GFCI, yes. I believe the one in the main panel is not. I was planning on putting a new 20 amp CFGI in the sub panel...can I just use the current 50 amp GFCI?

I was planning on using 12 gauge THHN strands in the conduit to the pump. I was considering 10 gauge, but thought 12 would be fine for a short run like this. I could be easily convinced to go back to 10 though.

For safety, how?

If you use the 50 amp GFCI CB you must use 6 AWG wire. The wire must always match the size of the CB.

Switch the CB to a 20 amp GFCI and you can use 12 AWG THWN wire. No reason to use 10.

Good deal, thanks.

What makes moving the pump by the deck safer? Just that it's farther from the water?
Do you think I should consider just moving it all the way to the corner where the new deck and the existing deck meet?

Good deal, thanks.

What makes moving the pump by the deck safer? Just that it's farther from the water?

Yes.

You want to ensure that no one can touch the pump and the water at the same time.

Do you think I should consider just moving it all the way to the corner where the new deck and the existing deck meet?

6 feet is far enough.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
From the pics I’m not sure a 3ft chord will reach the receptacle by going around the filter like that. Unless I’m looking at it wrong.
Yeah, those drawings aren't exactly to scale. It should reach just fine, but I'll be moving the pump anyway so I can just put it where it works before I lay in the PVC water lines.

Reactions: Decoy205
Dual rated THHN/THWN is fine.
Great. Going back to the sub-panel for a minute...I'm sure the run inside the house is a 4-wire romex cable, but I'm not sure what's in the conduit from the house to the sub-panel. Should that be individual THWN conductors there too, or is the 4-wire romex cable ok in the conduit from the house to the panel? I'm going to take a look in the morning, just not sure what I'll find. I imagine this will get inspected too even though it's already there, so I want to be ready.

Romex is fine inside.

When you put wires in an outdoor conduit it needs THWN.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.