Pool Pump Has Died-Best Way to Keep Water Clean

Desert Debster

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
May 6, 2017
HENDERSON, NV
Hello TFPC forum members,
I will start off by thanking everyone for the wealth of information that is offered here to help noobs like myself transition off
the pool store merry-go-round and create an amazingly clear, clean and cost effective pool. I started in the beginning of May and
our pool water has never looked better. I wish I had found this site just as we had done the water drain/refill in March (I would have saved big $$ from Leslie's) but
going forward it's all gonna be great!

Just as I've about got our pool chemistry dialed in to near perfection (*ahem* thank you pool math!) our 1.5HP pump motor died. For reasons
unknown, it never started up today and when we checked to see if a breaker was tripped or something we noticed the pump
motor was insanely hot. We have shut down everything and since we bought a home warranty with the home purchase last year a local pool company
will be dispatched for a repair. Lucky for us its the holiday weekend so I am anticipating a lengthy response time and I'm
worried about the best way to keep any nasties from developing in my now stagnant water. Vegas is averaging mid-to-upper 90's and my pool is in full sun all day.

Should I add extra liquid bleach? Should I brush the pool to try and stir things up? Should I dilute chemicals since no return is running? What would you guys do?

Here is my current water sample from last nights testing:
Water Temp: 78
FC: 7
CC: 0
PH: 7.8
TA: 90 (I've slowly brought this down from 160)
CH: 210
CYA: 50

Every two to three days I have to top off the water and my source water is as follows:
FC: 0
CC: 0
PH: 7.8
TA: 130
CH: 210

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. We're going to request a variable speed motor replacement so this should be interesting ($$ wise) how this will turn out
with a warranty replacement situation.

Happy Memorial Day everyone!

Deb

Wow. Sorry to hear about your pump. And welcome to TFP :)

Anything you can do to keep that water moving will help. Brush? Most certainly. Do you have a boat paddle? Go sit on a noodle a paddle yourself around?

In all seriousness you may not be able to prevent algae and water problems but any stirring up you can do will help. Be careful about adding additional chlorine if you're NOT going to seriously put an effort into brushing/mixing it.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Add your regular amount of bleach and then brush the pool. If you want you can pour the bleach in while walking around the pool but you still need to brush. Be sure and wear something you don't mind getting bleach splashes on if you do it this way.

Go to Harbor Freight and get a submersible pump. Place in the deep end and run the hose to the shallow end. Leave it on to circulate the water at least as much as you did your normal pump.

Add Chlorine as before. Might bump it up a bit as your circulation will still not be as good.

Good Luck!

Reactions: JessM
Put the submersible pump in a bucket if you go that route.... Don't want it to sit on/damage your pool surface.

You can use the pump hose to help mix the bleach by having someone follow you as you pour it in and spraying right where you've poured.

I might even add a dose of polyquat algaecide just as insurance.

And keep the pool covered as much as possible.

Thank you all for your replies. Currently brushing and skimming surface trying to move water as best we can while keeping bleach at current levels.
Hubs is researching pump rental idea - hopefully someone will be contacting us tomorrow. Thank you everyone. :wave:

Harbor Freight has 1/2 hp submersible pumps for $70. That is close to what Home Depot will charge for a 24 hour rental. I would imagine Harbor Freight (there are several in Las Vegas) would be open today too.

It is always nice to have a submersible pump around as we must drain our water every two years or so no matter what due to high CH.

Good Luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.