Pool Problems - No Flow

embeleco

Jun 2, 2019
Florida, USA
Hi Team. I usually do all my maintenance and yesterday when I cleaned the filter I realized that the suction (I'm not an expert so not sure on the term) was not as normal. My filter is 3 years old but it still looks in excellent condition... I thought I needed to start looking for one soon... now today this morning the Pump was running fine and saw water moving on the pool and through the filter and everything... but now Pump was running and no water is moving at all... I shutdown the pump.. re-check the filter... and everything.. but same.. noting is coming through the pump/filter... and of course SWG reporting no flow. I don't even know where/how to start troubleshooting.. :( I was going to call a pool service company.. but checking here 1st.

There's no water moving in the pump basket? Is the basket full?

Check for a clogged impeller. Reach in past the pump basket and feel for any debris.

I realize this is likely common sense, but please completely shut off the power to the pump before checking the impeller.

Is the pump making any unusual noises when it's running?

Reactions: generessler
If the pump and impeller are fine, you can determine if filter cartridges are the culprit by removing them temporarily and checking flow. If things go back to normal, you need new cartridges.

I realize this is likely common sense, but please completely shut off the power to the pump before checking the impeller.

Is the pump making any unusual noises when it's running?
I hear the pump as normal... no unusual noises... I did shutoff the power to check the impeller.. I try with a small screwdriver and got to the impeler.. but no debris or at least not that I can see... I cleaned the filter yesterday and then added 2 40 pounds of salt as I normally do every now and then when low on salt.

Post pics of your pool equipment and valves.

Post pics of your pool equipment and valves.
It is a Jandy system.. I have two pumps a regular one for the water features and a VSP one for the main filter system. Pictures attached. All the valves are the same way as I always have them for the past 3 or so years... I moved the one for the Skimmer when cleaning the pool and move it back to the original position when done. I did that yesterday and it was suctioning.

Attachments

• IMG_0742.jpeg
    IMG_0742.jpeg
    413.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0743.jpeg
    IMG_0743.jpeg
    390 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0744.jpeg
    IMG_0744.jpeg
    542.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0745.jpeg
    IMG_0745.jpeg
    526.9 KB · Views: 14

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is builder malpractice to not label pipes and valves.

I cannot tell anything from unlabeled pipes that disappear into the ground or off the edge of pictures.

Where the pump gets its suction from is not visible or what all those valves are for.

Yes. I took the cartridge out and rinse it as I always have been doing every 2 months and just put it back in place.
Good! Do the same except don't put the cartridges back in. Close everything up and run the pool as usual. See if things back to normal. If so, the cartridges are bad.

Good! Do the same except don't put the cartridges back in. Close everything up and run the pool as usual. See if things back to normal. If so, the cartridges are bad.
Hey it worked.. here a pic of the cartridge. Now I am here thinking of I didnt provide a good seal when I put everything back last time. At least the pump primed good and my returns were working as normal without the cartridge.

Attachments

• IMG_0747.jpeg
    IMG_0747.jpeg
    606.7 KB · Views: 4
I put the cartridge back and seal the cover better and now it is running.. very low flow but I guess enough to run for now.. I think I will get a new cartridge and a new O-ring for the filter. When it is priming I see the pressure gauge on the filter increase to 10psi.. now it went back to 0 but it is suctioning water in the basket at a low rate and SWG is on chlorinating mode.

Just to update.. I went ahead and got a new cartridge for the CS-200 and also change the O-Ring for the filter... I was running with the originals from back when the pool was installed on Summer 2019... However I'm still having very very low flow and up to the point where it goes into No Flow as per the SWG output. I usually run the VSP Pump on 1600 RPM during the day... and with that I have almost zero suction... and the returns are pushing very low water rate out... I really don't know what else to do... if I increase the RPM the basket will get full of water and the pressure gauge on the filter will increase to 10PSI... but when back to 1600 RPM.. almost nothing.

Any idea or I'm stuck putting a call to a service company for further troubleshooting

Up to 30PSI is fine.

Increase your RPM to 1900-2000and see how things work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.