Pool prime cycle and backwashing

Zeebs17

Sep 26, 2022
Connecticut
Hi all

Hayward 4 variable speed pump going into DE System 3 S7MD60 filter with multiport backwash. 2” plumbing.

Here’s the problem.. when I set to backwash the pump primes for 5 minutes at max RPM and the outflow from the waste line is insane — hose goes wild have to hold it with 2 hands and all your might just to try to control it and the outflow of water is way way to much. In literally 5 minutes (prime duration) I took the water from slightly above the skimmer due to lots of rain to half way on a 25,000 gallon pool.

On the pump it Doesn’t seem like prime RPM can be adjusted… just time. For backwash only would it be safe to override prime duration and change from 5 minutes to 0 and then I can change the program and set RPM to like 1500 to get something more easily to control?

Don’t want to damage pump equipment. Open to any other better solutions as well…. TIA

Attachments

• 8BF8DC1D-A129-4CB8-BDBD-9E5CC68B14ED.jpeg
    8BF8DC1D-A129-4CB8-BDBD-9E5CC68B14ED.jpeg
    551.4 KB · Views: 10
Hi all

Hayward 4 variable speed pump going into DE System 3 S7MD60 filter with multiport backwash. 2” plumbing.

Here’s the problem.. when I set to backwash the pump primes for 5 minutes at max RPM and the outflow from the waste line is insane — hose goes wild have to hold it with 2 hands and all your might just to try to control it and the outflow of water is way way to much. In literally 5 minutes (prime duration) I took the water from slightly above the skimmer due to lots of rain to half way on a 25,000 gallon pool.

On the pump it Doesn’t seem like prime RPM can be adjusted… just time. For backwash only would it be safe to override prime duration and change from 5 minutes to 0 and then I can change the program and set RPM to like 1500 to get something more easily to control?

Don’t want to damage pump equipment. Open to any other better solutions as well…. TIA
If your pump will prime in 1 minute, set the prime cycle for 1 minute, that's what I did with my Hayward. I always lower that time, if it is in the menu, on every pump I install.

What exact model pump do you have?
My Hayward Tristar 950 VS has the option to lower the priming rpm and the time priming runs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.