Pool Price

I mean, there's a *lot* of stuff in there. Do you have any design pictures to correlate these charges to what's actually supposed to be happening? If you're doing something at the scale of BigPapaSmurf or something you would see out of a magazine, then the price might be appropriate.

Is that "Automatic Sweep" fitting for a vacuum line? If so, save yourself half that price and just buy a robot instead.

• Wow
Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
I believe I saw 2 heaters, one for pool, one for spa. Isn’t the spa directly connected to the pool? One set of pool equipment can filter, heat and circulate both bodies of water. At least, in my 40 x 25 rectangular pool with spa it has. Your first proposal is 3 times my cost. Definitely, get more quotes.

That's a "we don't really want this job, but if the client is willing to pay this insanely ridiculous amount of money we'll do it" quote from the contractor. $26/sq foot for kooldeck? $43,000 for a 7x7 spa ? $16.000 to put stone veneer on the back wall of the pool (even if it's the long side at 40' x say 2.5' exposed, that is $160/sq foot to apply stone veneer to a concrete surface that is already paid for elsewhere in the quote)? Just consign this quote to the trash.

Reactions: TampaKathy
I don't even know what some of that stuff is, but I do know the IntelliTouch automation is outdated, probably leftover stock. IntelliCenter is the current thing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just focusing on the pool quote - approx. 25,000 gals, a VS pump, a filter, 2 skimmers & 1 drain. All for $129k - seems outrageous. Then add another $43k for a standard spa. That’s $172k for a pretty basic pool and spa.

The automation and SWCG should come as a package - see IntelliCenter package deals are a lot less then $10k.

You have a lot of other stuff that drives the price up. Is some of this high pricing to deter you from asking for it? That is a tactic when someone doesn’t really want to include it.

The only way to tell is to get 2 other bids and try to compare apples to apples the best you can.

I recommend letting the pool builder concentrate on building the pool then you can add all that other stuff with other contractors. This way you're not paying the premium the pool builder is charging, which they are going to most likely sub out anyway. Plus then you aren't beholden to the pool builders schedule who's sub contractors are putting your project last because they have more profitable projects or simply being told by the pool builder to work on their more profitable projects. You'll save some money and have more input and control over what you are getting if you sub out the add ons yourself, plus you will be dealing with people who know exactly what their specialty is and not some jack of all trades pool builder who is just trying to sell you stuff.

Reactions: KCNM
Seems extremely high. We got 4 quotes and they were all within 20% of each other.

To illustrate the absurdity, your quote has a $3k line item for caulking! Is it diamond filled?

Throw this quote out and dont mention it to any other PBs.

Hey DS and welcome !!! Without going into your personal details, as you could have the fanciest or ugliest house in the neighborhood, what’s the average price by you for real estate ? Any chance they took one look at the neighbors and knew *they* would pay that much ?

Reactions: TampaKathy
d,

Some items in this quote don't make sense. Yes the price seems way high. But the base price isn't that far off for a pool your size IF there's not a typo on depth. Is the depth of the total pool really no more than 4'? If that's correct this is crazy high. For reference my OB pool design company provided an estimate of about $105,000 for an 18' x 32' shot crete plus spa and sun deck. Design was very high end design with knife edge on 3 sides, plus infinity edge and 4' shallow end 6' deep end. OB cost is about $75K. My cost includes paver deck which would be cheaper than yours but mine also included an auto cover.

Chris

Yeah, that one goes right in the trash. For a PB to list so many silly items like this, and charge so much for them, he should either be embarrassed, or proud some sucker actually goes for that.

As others mentioned, just a few highlights.....

$3k for caulk? Really, caulk?
$7k for Intellitouch? Really? The lowest automation, and very outdated? Sure there should be some markup, but to even suggest installing that on a $300k+ pool is absurd!

As others mentioned, this is either a "I don't want the job but I'll do it for this price", or somehow he has misread the neighborhood and what people should be paying for a pool. On top of that, what happens where there are change orders? What happens when you need to pay for landscaping, or furniture? A $500k pool that is 4' deep and 23 x 40?

File that one in the recycle bin, and find yourself a reputable builder who is upfront and honest about the process and pricing, this builder's proposal is neither of those.

do you live in a very expensive area ? is your house worth millions ? lot of times they guys will quote you based on area and house. Obviously this guy thinks he can get this from you. At these prices i think you should be in that show "pool kings"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.