Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I have a Skimlite Telescope Pole Heavy Duty 8 ft. to 16 ft. that has served me week for many years. I can see a crack developing in the white plastic ring that you tighten it. Time to get a new one.

Skimlite has a newer model 5009 for $15 more with a different style locking mechanism that I might try. I need to check on availability and shipping from that vendor since the same 5009 pole is being sold on Amazon for 3X the price with free shipping. That makes the Protuff pole look like a bargain.

While shopping for what else is out there I came across this pole which is almost 3X the price. Anyone have it? Is it 3X better? Is it worth the unlimited replacement guarantee?

I was also looking at this pole that members have spoken highly of...

I don't mind paying for a quality product but hard to judge quality and pricing with online shopping.

I am unfamiliar with those poles. Can you just order a replacement part to fix it?

My suggestion is to get one with a locking pin. It is a nice positive lock and is better than the twist to lock one. I had the twist lock one and it would sometimes shorten itself when I was brushing. Unless you cranked down on it. Then it was hard to undo. Maybe it was because the twist was a cheaper pole (the one the pool company included with pool).

I bought this one: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Aqua-EZ-2-piece-telescopic-16-ft-Aluminum-Pool-Pole/1000178657

So far I love it. And now I use the old twist one for my net.

Reactions: rmontgomery
Reactions: Belo

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've been considering the ProTuff pole as well as the JED pool tools one. Have not pulled the trigger yet. I really like the detents on the ProTuff one, versus a twist lock device.

--Jeff

Have heard nothing but good things about the Protuff. I plan on buying one this summer as my traditional friction-lock aluminum pole is quickly reaching the end of its life. I’ve only read one account of someone needing to use the lifetime replacement warranty and it was apparently a quick and painless no-questions-asked process.

Well, I went ahead and ordered the ProTuff pole yesterday. I will hopefully have it in a week or two and can give my thoughts on it then. I also considered the JED tools one posted above, but just bit the bullet and decided on the ProTuff. I really like that it does not use the cam lock, versus every other one. Hopefully I never have to test the warranty.

Protuff also has a discount if you go through their website, instead of direct on Amazon. Get 20% Off a ProTuff "Lock Right" Pool Pole

I see the JED tools pole is about $10 less than the last time I looked. I might have tried that one first over the ProTuff, had I noticed the lessened cost.

I'll add that i bought the JED pole off amazon and received it yesterday, and used today. I really like it so far. It's sleek, locks and unlocks easy and seems durable. Obviously, the true test will be a summers worth of use and if the pole holds and maintains it's easy lock and unlock. I'll try and report back, but so far happy with the product at the price point. If I have any issues I'll go protuff next for sure.

I have a Protuff pole. It is the best built pole I have ever seen (not that I have seen that many). It looks and feels SOLID.

However, it is heavy, much heavier than any other pole. Thats probably how you make it solid. If you dont mind heavy I highly recommend it.

I don't find it all that heavy. Actually, while I'm scooping on the swamp, the weight of the "free" end actually helps with the balance of getting the muck out. Of course, I'm looking forward to the day when the pool's clean like it should be, but for now... :LOL:

So let me quality that a little. If the pool is completely or mainly collapsed it is very heavy. The more you extend the pool the lighter it gets.

Of course now that I say this I am thinking, why dont I just extend my pole and use it longer. :brickwall:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.