Headbanger783

Aug 16, 2020
Pa
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi guys we signed for a fiberglass pool in Aug 2020 and are STILL battling for permits.

My township is requesting a piping schematic for all length/size of the pool plumbing…what does this look like? Anyone have any pics for reference? So I can see what one looks like?

Also my twp. says based on TDH calculations the pump cannot exceed 82gpm and the pump the builder said they are using is capable of 150gpm on the highest setting (Jandy Pro Series PHPF 2.5hp). Is just switching to a smaller pumper going to solve this issue?

Our pool is a Latham Valencia 14.5x28 approx 10k gallons

The builder is dealing with the permits, not myself but the township and them are NOT getting along. The builder says they’ve never had such difficulties with a township before. It’s a while back and forth thing and I’m stuck in the middle.

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys we signed for a fiberglass pool in Aug 2020 and are STILL battling for permits.

My township is requesting a piping schematic for all length/size of the pool plumbing…what does this look like? Anyone have any pics for reference? So I can see what one looks like?
Something like this but with pipe diameters and lengths called out:

full

Also my twp. says based on TDH calculations the pump cannot exceed 82gpm and the pump the builder said they are using is capable of 150gpm on the highest setting (Jandy Pro Series PHPF 2.5hp). Is just switching to a smaller pumper going to solve this issue?
They are likely calculating the maximum flow rate based upon pipe diameter. 82 GPM is about 8 ft/sec in 2" pipe. If you go up to 2.5" pipe, the maximum recommended flow rate becomes 119 GPM for 8 ft/sec.

However, I believe the Township is most likely making a mistake in that parallel pipes split the flow. So if you have only one return pipe at 90 GPM, you are over the limit. However, if you have two return lines, then you will be under the limit (45 GPM/pipe). Same for suction side. So it is fairly easy to comply with an appropriate design. It is also good for energy efficiency.

If you can give me the schematic, I can do the head calcs for you to find the operating points and flow rates for every pipe.

Oops sorry I meant the pump was 1.5hp

The pool has 2 returns and one skimmer I believe….I’m away from my paperwork right now…so if you split the 2 returns that would split that load and then the township mentioned making the suction pipe bigger…either 2 1/2 or 3 inch.

Or would changing the pump to something like this https://www.jandy.com/-/media/zodiac/global/downloads/sl/2241_sl_jandy_vsflopro85.pdf?force=1

The .85hp model cut down on the flow to an acceptable level? It looks like around 60gpm at 40ft which would not exceed 82gpm…or is that too low? My TDH calcs say I need 32.2ft.

The plumbing pipe as it is now is 2 inch. I don’t have a piping schematic from the pool company as that seems to be a trouble spot for them…so I didn’t know what it looked like. Sorry if this is confusing…I really don’t understand the technical side of this

Thanks so much just trying to understand.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.