Pool pea soup with algae

Welcome to the forum!
Bummer.
To help us help you, please fill out your signature with pool type, volume, equipment, test kit you use, etc.
It most likely would be easier to do now with lower water temperatures. But up to you.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

JL,

Welcome to TFP! You'll have every kind of pool expert here to help with anything. Marty has already engaged to help you and I watch him take pool owners through the worst of the worst when it comes to green pools. Just ask him any questions that may come to mind you don't have to wait. If you follow the TFP protocol meticulously you'll have a sparkling pool in the shortest time for the lowest cost possible.

I can't wait for the sparkling pool photos!

Chris

I'll make a side comment that a planned opening date of June 1 in central OH is too late to consistently open to a clear pool. I also am thinking that since you open late, you likely also close too early (before pool temp drops below 60 degrees). Above 60 degrees becomes prime algae breeding temps. You may have been successful before, but closing before 60 and opening after 60 is a recipe for pea soup. There are other factors too, but pool water temp at opening and closing is a key consideration.

Just checked pool to add chemicals to finish out winter in Ohio. Completely overrun with algae. Did not plan on opening for two months. Should I just let it go and try to clear it up later or work on it now. Thanks.

Hello and Welcome to TFP! I used to live just outside Columbus, about 20 miles NE, but I've since moved away last August.
We'll help you get it cleaned up when the time is right. I think now is too soon to do it. But I concur that waiting 2 months is too late. I always opened in mid April when the water was in the 60's.
In order to perform the SLAM Process process, you need running equipment and to be able to regularly test and add chlorine until the process is complete. Unless you can do all of the steps in the SLAM Process process now, it is best to wait until you can. Only doing some of the steps is a recipe for failure and we would hate to have that happen.

While in your waiting time, please read through Pool School, the SLAM Process process, order a quality test kit (TF-100 is my favorite) and get familiar with what needs to happen when it's time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.