Pool pad 160 feet away from pool

Gottabewet

Silver Supporter
Jun 18, 2018
Hudson Vally NY
I am starting a pool build this week and wanted to put the pool equipment pad far away and out of sight. I am tucking it behind a pole barn that is 160 feet from the pool with around a 1 foot drop in elevation. I will build a nice lean-to cover to protect from the sun. Is there anything terrible about going such a long distance that I should be concerned with? I actually contemplated putting all the equipment inside the pole barn (40 x 60) and just keeping the electric heat pump outside, but thought it might pose humidity issues. Would it be ok to keep it indoors in a pole barn?

I am starting a pool build this week and wanted to put the pool equipment pad far away and out of sight. I am tucking it behind a pole barn that is 160 feet from the pool with around a 1 foot drop in elevation. I will build a nice lean-to cover to protect from the sun. Is there anything terrible about going such a long distance that I should be concerned with?

Not is you use the proper size pipe. You need to go to larger pipe - 2.5" or 3" for a long run.

@mas985

I actually contemplated putting all the equipment inside the pole barn (40 x 60) and just keeping the electric heat pump outside, but thought it might pose humidity issues. Would it be ok to keep it indoors in a pole barn?

You can keep equipment in and enclosed space with proper venting and drainage.

The heat pump should be outside as it works on the ambient temperature.

Not is you use the proper size pipe. You need to go to larger pipe - 2.5" or 3" for a long run.

@mas985

You can keep equipment in and enclosed space with proper venting and drainage.

The heat pump should be outside as it works on the ambient temperature.

Thank you ajw22. I have read a ton of your contributions here in the forums and it's valuable! I know the pool builder mentioned doing 3" for one way and the 2" in another direction would work better. I'll inquire further.

This new pool will be 22 x 50 with no spa this time around. We never used the last spa that much on our last pool and plus it was a 30k option. I am paying almost 70% more for this pool than a very similar pool we built in 2018.

And thank to you, and 20 hours of research, I will be going with Hydrazzo. I tried to make a push for pebble tec but didn't want to even have the small chance for a rough finish. My last pool with diamond brite was rougher than we would have liked so I'm hoping hydrazzo is more smooth.

Is the distance from the farthest point of the pool to the equipment pad 160’ or is that distance more?
Is a spa included?
75’ is the distance I try to keep within and that’s with 3” pipe for the spa and 2 1/2” pipe for the pool.
We are not doing a spa this time because we found that we didn't use much on our last pool, and the bench seats are not comfortable enough for me.

The actual distance from pool to equipment pad would be 162'.

Seems scary to me because it seems far, and certainly farther than most people who always seem within the 30' that most pool builders try and keep it. I thought it would be better to spend a little more on piping to keep the outdoor pool area clean and clutter free since its a nice flat wide open 2 acre back yard.

The drop of only one foot in elevation is the only reason I'm comfortable doing this.

Thank you!

Since you have automation, can you get Wifi where the equipment is located? If not, and you want to be able to control your pool with your phone, now would be a good time to fix that.

For suction, you want to keep the water velocity below 6 ft/sec. For returns, you want to keep the water velocity below 8 ft/sec.

Size.......6 ft/sec......8 ft/sec.
1.5"...........38...............51 gpm
2"..............63...............84 gpm
2.5............90.............119 gpm
3.0".........138.............184 gpm
4.0"........238.............317 gpm

As long as the length is less than 100 feet and you follow the above rules, the system should be fine.

Over 100 feet, go up one pipe size.

I am tucking it behind a pole barn that is 160 feet from the pool with around a 1 foot drop in elevation.
The drop of only one foot in elevation is the only reason I'm comfortable doing this.
Is the pool higher or lower than the equipment?

Skimmers typically should be less than 60 gpm and ideally closer to 40 gpm max.

So, 2" or 2.5" PVC is fine for that.

How much total flow to you think you will need?

How many skimmers?

Main drain or no?

We are not doing a spa this time because we found that we didn't use much on our last pool, and the bench seats are not comfortable enough for me.
You're not doing the spa at all?

For suction lines, you want to keep the head loss below 17 feet.

Assuming (6) 90s for each line, you have to add 6 x 5.2 = 31.3 feet to the pipe length.

So, use 200' as the pipe length.

At 60 GPM, a 2" PVC skimmer line is at 5.9 feet per second and the head loss is (5.8 x 2) = 11.6 feet of head loss.

1660749110214.png

1660749267790.png

1660749509000.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There's no location closer to the pool that you could work the equipment into the hardscape/landscape?
Maybe a picture or diagram of the backyard, pool location and contemplated equipment location would help.

If you insist on installing your swimming pool heat pump indoors, be sure to provide a way to supply 3,500 CFMs* of fresh air to your unit.

* CFM is (cubic feet per minute) of air travel. The term CFM is typically related to the HVAC industry.

You might be able to put a powered duct on the heat pump to take the exhaust to the outside of the building as long as you have plenty of fresh air that can move easily into the building.

Outdoors is best, but it can sometimes be put in a big structure if the HVAC is properly designed and installed.

Also make sure they take into account any head loss and upsize your pump(s) accordingly. Personally, I would want to have the equipment closer, because it is naturally more efficient for plumbing to have shorter runs. However, if you're willing to pay for the longer runs and take into account things like head loss, than it should work just fine.

Long pipe is not really an issue if you don't have high flow rate requirements.

I am starting a pool build this week and wanted to put the pool equipment pad far away and out of sight. I am tucking it behind a pole barn that is 160 feet from the pool with around a 1 foot drop in elevation. I will build a nice lean-to cover to protect from the sun. Is there anything terrible about going such a long distance that I should be concerned with? I actually contemplated putting all the equipment inside the pole barn (40 x 60) and just keeping the electric heat pump outside, but thought it might pose humidity issues. Would it be ok to keep it indoors in a pole barn?
From your signature, it looks like you have a spa. How many jets does the spa have and what is the flow rate requirement for each jet?

For example, if you have 8 jets at 15 GPM each, then that is 120 GPM. In this case, the spa should already be using at least 3" plumbing. Assuming the spa is on it's own loop without going through the heater or filter, 3" line should be sufficient even at 160' (with an RPM boost) but again it depends on the spa design and how strong you like the jets.

For the pool, it probably won't matter much since circulation is usually done at low flow rates anyway. Plus it really doesn't have as much of an impact as one might think at low flow rates. But 2.5" pipe is not that much more expensive either so probably still worth it. Other than cost, there is no downside to larger pumps.

James, excellent info you provided, thank you.

I've decided to keep the all the equipment on the outside wall of the pole barn.

There will be a main drain and 3 skimmers.

The pool is foot higher in elevation than the equipment pad.

We decided against doing the spa. No desire and found uncomfortable, and 32k extra.

I'm ignorant when it comes to flows and friction losses so I'm not sure.

Long pipe is not really an issue if you don't have high flow rate requirements.

From your signature, it looks like you have a spa. How many jets does the spa have and what is the flow rate requirement for each jet?

For example, if you have 8 jets at 15 GPM each, then that is 120 GPM. In this case, the spa should already be using at least 3" plumbing. Assuming the spa is on it's own loop without going through the heater or filter, 3" line should be sufficient even at 160' (with an RPM boost) but again it depends on the spa design and how strong you like the jets.

For the pool, it probably won't matter much since circulation is usually done at low flow rates anyway. Plus it really doesn't have as much of an impact as one might think at low flow rates. But 2.5" pipe is not that much more expensive either so probably still worth it. Other than cost, there is no downside to larger pumps.
I need to change my signature to reflect my new pool. The spa listed is for my pool in the house I just sold.

Just use 2" or 2.5" for the skimmers and 2.5" for the main drain and you will be fine.

You should never need more than about 40 to 45 gpm at any point and that will be divided between 3 skimmer lines, which is only 15 gpm per line, so no problem at all.

Even if the equipment was 500 feet away, it would still work.

Even if the equipment was 1,000 feet away, you could get 80 GPM on the 4 suction lines and the suction head loss would only be about 8 feet of head loss.

I would do 2 independent 2" return lines.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.