Pool Opening

Sep 27, 2015
Middle Musquodoboit, Nova Scotia Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We opened our pool on Friday. Had a new liner in the fall, so no CYA. Pool guy dumped in 20 litres of liquid chlorine before I could stop him. At opening
FC =0
CYA=0
pH = less that 6.8
TA=30
CH=300
After 20 litres and still no CYA ( had to go and get stabilizer) FC=12+
Tested FC on Sunday and it was 6
Added 3.2 kg of stabilizer Sunday. I had some Total Alchalinity Up and some pH Up so I added that too. ( i know I should have used baking soda and washing soda, but I couldn't get any on Sunday)
This morning - Monday FC was 0. Not sure if I need to SLAM so I just added 5 litres of liquid 12% chlorine
5PM FC=7.4
pH 7
TA 70
CH 300
CYA 50
Water is cloudy in the pool, but clear as a bell in a glass bottle. I can see the main drain, but not well. Put in the Dolphin cleaner to help get silt off the bottom. Should I add washing soda to raise the pH to 7.6.
Should I start the SLAM process now? Weather here in Nova Scotia is cold so I thought if we opened early I would avoid algae. The silt is more a brownish colour than green, so I'm not sure.

Pool May 23 2022.jpg Pool Deep End May 2022.jpgPool May 23 2022.jpgPool Deep End May 2022.jpg

pH 7
CH 300
CYA 50
  • I would definitely get your PH up, especially with new liner.
  • You can use the 10ml sample to save reagents when testing FC :)
  • Those products were fine: Total Alk Up should be "baking soda" and PH up should be "washing soda"
    • Side note: Your CH is high, I would not use any cal-hypo products.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.