Pool opening questions -- when do I vaccuum to waste? And what's the best way to clean pool walls?

shibainu

May 4, 2022
Quebec
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hey pools owners, newbie here.

Not sure what info would be relevant so I'll just context dump a bunch of stuffs:

So I've had my pool opened by some folks as I still wasn't comfortable opening myself. They've SLAM/shocked the pool, and the pool has turned from green to clear over the course of the last 3 days. During that time, I've also done two sets of backwash as my pressure was getting up. I've also done a mix of net cleaning, vaccuum cleaning and robot cleaning whenever I had a chance after work. I had a couple of questions for next steps:

- I've read in the past that algae goes transparent once it dies. The particles are also small enough that it can pass through a sand filter (which is what I have). Does this mean that I would need to vaccum to waste my pool floor just to be sure I've removed all dead algae? I did a waste vaccuum once last year and the thing that shocked me was how quick my water level was dropping. Not sure if I was vaccuuming too slowly or whatnot.
- I've also done some pool wall brushing because they are dirty as heck. I have to put in a lot of work to get the dirt out of the wall, but I still have a long way to go to go through all walls. I was wondering if anyone had tips or suggestions for better tools to help me clean the walls? I also have a white fiberglass pool, so that might add to my perception of dirtyness 🤷‍♂️

Sorry for the long post, and thanks a bunch in advance!

A sand filter *will* clear algae, it just takes a bit longer than other types of filters. A slightly dirty filter will clean better than one that is all cleaned out. So only backwash when your filter pressure goes up 25% over your clean pressure.

Sometimes adding a bit of Pool DE to the filter can speed things up- It takes very little, and you will wash it out when you next backwash.
www.troublefreepool.com/blog/2019/01/18/add-de-to-a-sand-filter/

Any chance the walls could be discolored from iron?
www.troublefreepool.com/blog/2019/01/18/stains-in-your-pool/

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.