Pool Opening, Possible Air In Lines?

abeck1023

Apr 17, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Good Evening and thank you in advance!

I just purchased a house in September and closed the pool in October. It's a 24,000 gallon Salt Water pool with a Paramount in-floor cleaning system.

My pool company came today and opened it. Shocked the pool and added algaecide. Everything seems to be working fine but a few hours ago, I noticed there is a bunch of foam/bubbles on the surface. After looking around, I notice when the in-floor jets and the pool wall jets engage, they are shooting bubbles and they are obviously rising to the top. This wasn't the case when the pool was open for the month of September.

I checked the skimmer pump and it's loud, half full of water (starts to fill up intermittently, but never reaches the lid), the safety vacuum release system pipe in the yard off to the side is gurgling, like there's air bubbles trapped and the Jandy CL340 filter relief valve is fluctuating between less than 10 psi and 20 psi rapidly. I've opened the relief valve when the filter/pump was running and air escapes, the pressue drops to "0" but water never comes out the relief valve.

Where do I start? I've never owned a pool before. I have no clue where to start. I've contacted the pool company but haven't heard back yet. Should I just leave the system off (touch nothing, no valves, etc) and wait to hear back or is this something than can cause damage relatively quickly? The system has been running like this since around noon today (7 hours). I'd like to troubleshoot the problem before they have to come out, but it is what it is at this point. I'm a total noobie when it comes to pools.

I've attached photos of the system, the safety vacuum release system that is making noise and the bubbles themselves.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_4599.jpg
    IMG_4599.jpg
    557.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4600.jpg
    IMG_4600.jpg
    600.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4601.jpg
    IMG_4601.jpg
    918.4 KB · Views: 12
Welcome to TFP! :wave: I would start with the following:
- Pool water level high enough; about halfway up the poolside skimmer opening
- Skimmer weir door not stuck closed; moving freely
- Pump strainer pot O-ring (under clear lid) luded with pool silicone

Your valves all seem to be open, so let's start there with some simple things and go further if needed.

So the pool company came out today and determined the main drain is clogged and drawing air from the Safety Vacuum Release System - which is causing the system to let air in and preventing the pump from priming.
I guess they are going to try to clear it out this week. For now we've shut off the bottom drain valve and everything is working as such.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Nice you got someone to actually come out to your place with everything happening. Hope that does the trick for you. In the meantime, take a moment to update your signature with all of that pool and equipment ifo. That way you don't have to answer those equipment questions again later. Also include the test kit you are using. Good luck with the clog, and have a good weekend.

Reactions: abeck1023
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.