May 28, 2019
Stow, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hiya,

Did some research and got the fancy test kit. Just opened the pool and came up zeroes for FC and CYA. Non cloudy for the CYA and added ~6 scoops and no pink for the FC.

FC 0
CYA 0
PH 7
TA 75

I have granular CYA to add in the sock method based on the pool math suggestions but won't have the liquid bleach and borax until later tonight. Is there an order of operations to addressing CYA>FC>PH? I've read that CYA and PH are the main ones to worry about during SLAM. 33k gallon vinyl pool using a DE fliter.

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum!
How does the water look.
Prior to adding any CYA, please add 10 ppm worth of liquid chlorine to the pool. Circulate it for 15 minutes. Test the FC and CC. Post the results here prior to proceeding.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Generally when there appears to be no CYA left and there should be or used to be, we worry about ammonia. Under the right conditions, CYA can break down into ammonia. If you add more CYA without killing the offending bacteria, you just create more ammonia by adding more CYA. To test it requires chlorine, though.

Is there a reason you didn't test CC or CH? A CC reading is helpful when diagnosing ammonia. CH is important no matter what the pool surface because any pool can develop scale. What if your CH level is astronomical? You'll want to replace some water. There's no point in treating a bunch of water only to dump it a day later.

Get some bleach and test for ammonia first. If that passes, and the CH is good, you should be able to have the chemistry all dialed in in a matter of hours.

CC is possibly .5? (I did the 10ml test and it had a slight pink hue, one drop made it clear). I've watched a few videos on testing for FC and CC and my samples never turned the pink I see in the videos but I'm pretty certain I saw a very slight pink hue.

CH is 100

I added 10 ppm liquid chlorine about 30min ago. Will test for FC and CC again.

With those results after 15 minutes, you need to continue that drill. Add LC to FC of 10 ppm, circulate pool, test FC after 15 minutes and repeat until your FC after 15 minutes is above 5 ppm.

Then SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.