Pool Opening Chemistry Results - What do I attack first?

May 22, 2018
READING, MA
HI all-

Opened the pool MDW and finally got my replacement regents in. Just did the first test and got the below results:

CYA - 0
FC - 6.5
TA - 80
CH - 50
PH - 7.2-7.3

What would you guys suggest I attack first? Obviously the CYA needs to come up, just not sure what I should adjust in what order.

Thank you as always for all of your help!!!

If you had CYA when you closed and now you have none, there is a slim chance you have ammonia. What is the CC reading? That will tell us a lot. Might as well recheck FC too, because if you have ammonia, it will likely all be gone already. Let us know the results before you do anything else.

Will check now. If it helps at all I was running between 30-40 CYA last year until about three weeks before Labor day when my pump died. We decided to close early and somehow a significant amount of plant material ended up in the pool and the water level rose a good 12 inches (mesh cover).

Note the above FC reading was done today around noon and the last time we put bleach in was yesterday around the same time. Pool is crystal clear, thankfully.

Thanks very much guys. I used what I had left of liquid stabilizer because no stores near me were still open. Just checked about 10 minutes ago and I'm right at 20 ppm. Apologies for not totally understanding Marty, do I hold it at 20 or increase it to 30? Should I be adding more bleach at this point?

Thanks very much guys. I used what I had left of liquid stabilizer because no stores near me were still open. Just checked about 10 minutes ago and I'm right at 20 ppm. Apologies for not totally understanding Marty, do I hold it at 20 or increase it to 30? Should I be adding more bleach at this point?
Hold off on raising CYA until after you test it tomorrow. But certainly go ahead and add bleach. Assume you're at 30 and use 12 FC as shock level.

Hold off on raising CYA until after you test it tomorrow. But certainly go ahead and add bleach. Assume you're at 30 and use 12 FC as shock level.

Sorry for the delay in posting. Retested and was around the same. Added some more via the sock method and I'm now sitting between 40-50, probably in the 45-50 range.

What next? Or were my earlier numbers good enough to leave as is for now?

Sorry for the delay in posting. Retested and was around the same. Added some more via the sock method and I'm now sitting between 40-50, probably in the 45-50 range.

What next? Or were my earlier numbers good enough to leave as is for now?
A lot of that depends on how the water looks and how well it's holding chlorine. It seemed like you were starting a SLAM, but now you've jumped ahead to raising the CYA so I have no clue where you are so I can't tell you which way to go.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A lot of that depends on how the water looks and how well it's holding chlorine. It seemed like you were starting a SLAM, but now you've jumped ahead to raising the CYA so I have no clue where you are so I can't tell you which way to go.

My apologies. When I took the previous numbers I had already been SLAMing based off of regents left over from last year. The water is crystal clear and I am not having any of the high psi issues with the filter once the algae had all been removed. I still need to do the overnight test but at this point I think I'm good to go on the algae side.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.