Pool opening 2024

What about the return plumbing on the filter. It's either blocked in the image or not hooked up yet.

View attachment 576365

Just your pump lid gasket.
The hose that goes from my sand filter to the pump is just a slip-on connection. I push the hose tightly onto the end of the hard plastic protrusion from the filter and then use those clamps to tighten them. It does not use a gasket. And the drain plug on the sand filter at the bottom is just a cap that screws on tightly but it is a lot smaller than that gasket. I will send the pic to the guy that closes my pool and ask him?

Yes it is. Works like a champ for lots of years thank goodness. They r do expensive. My friend just gave me his also so now i have 2👍👍
That’s awesome!! I still love mine even though cleaning her was kind of a PITA lol but she’s still here in case my new Dolphin has any issues. That’s was so nice of your friend to give you his. Both of them need names! 😆

How can I look back and see last year's posts-
GREAT idea. You closed at SLAM plus 2 or so extra in case the closer guy came later in the day and you lost some FC, per this post.

(@thefloatqueen see all 985 glorious posts in the saga. We're besties alright :))

And yeah Monsterman, it worked even against rough odds this year. We're doing it again next year. :party:

I am done for the evening. I am tired. I will finish vacuuming tomorrow. When I do the manual vacuum I keep the valve on WASTE is that right (so that all that leftover dirt does NOT go into the filter? I know I will lose some water that way but it's better than getting the sand filter really dirty. The pool is slowly filling- It is taking hours--The pool must have lost about 12 " over the fall, winter, and spring. The water company is going to love me- I will get some bill this month. After the vacuuming is done I will check the chemicals and let you all know and you can guide me some more. Thank you guys and have a great weekend.

When I do the manual vacuum I keep the valve on WASTE is that right (so that all that leftover dirt does NOT go into the filter? I know I will lose some water that way but it's better than getting the sand filter really dirty
Totally your call. Vac to waste and refill, or vac to filter and backwash at 25% psi increases. Neither way is wrong.
Thank you guys and have a great weekend.
You too.

just checking my replies before I hit the sack-pool getting close almost up to skimmer. But will stop for the night now. But after reading your reply- about vacuuming to filter and then doing Backwash-- I have no problem doing a backwash BUT I have no idea what doing that at a 25% psi--- I do the backwash as always. I don't know what the psi truly is. So is the backwash I have been doing with the filter and the valve on the backwash good enough? I think what I might try doing is starting the vacuuming on waste and getting up the real dirty spots then going to filter mode to complete the vacuuming so that I will not have to add a lot of water again

think what I might try doing is starting the vacuuming on waste and getting up the real dirty spots then going to filter mode to complete the vacuuming so that I will not have to add a lot of water again
You can also *gently* bush most of it to one corner then only lose a little water sending it to waste. It takes a couple tries with the brush and some time to settle in between, but it couldn't be simpler and takes 3 mins each round.

If you go nice and easy you can control the poof cloud fairly well. Stop 10 ft before the end and watch it go the rest of the way.

Monte, glad to hear from you again! 👋

The little hole is for your sight glass
IMG_0180.jpeg
The thin o ring goes inside the cuff of a union
IMG_0181.jpeg
IMG_0179.jpeg
After your first backwash make a note of your filter pressure- this will be your clean baseline psi. After this you will want to backwash once the pressure rises 25% over that number.
Example: if clean pressure is 10psi then it’s time to backwash at 12.5 psi.

Reactions: newdude
Good afternoon. Robot vacummed pool for hours. Looks pretty clean of all big stuff. Pool almost filled to second screw on skimmer frame. Will vacuum manually soon. Already brushed sides and bottom. I have been at this since 430 yesterday and probably wont be done till about that time today. Cleaned leaf cover and pool cover brushed and soaped and sprayed and dried. What a huge job. But i like physical labor. Which brings me to my most important question. After all else is done do i yhem only test for chlorine??? And what numbers do i plug into pool math. All the values or just chlorine since i need to shock the pool???? If as u say i need 5 ppm. What does that mean in numbers or amounts of the liquid chlorine. I want to get the aqua greenish color away and get some more blue back. ?????

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 7

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Monte, glad to hear from you again! 👋

The little hole is for your sight glass
View attachment 576558
The thin o ring goes inside the cuff of a union
View attachment 576559
View attachment 576560
After your first backwash make a note of your filter pressure- this will be your clean baseline psi. After this you will want to backwash once the pressure rises 25% over that number.
Example: if clean pressure is 10psi then it’s time to backwash at 12.5 psi.
Thank u thank u thank u. I found it thanks to u. Now i am ready to finish by manually vacuuming. All big dirt is gone. Just want to get it blue and sparkling like last year. What is ur recommendation for how much liquid chlorine to start with to shock the pool?? In amounts😊

Hey guys. I have the filter running and by putting my hand by the jet it feels like it always has. Good force. But the psi gauge i think has had its day. I will attsch 2 pics. Witj the filter off it is on zero but with filter on it is only about 3? Is that not good?? Should i go buy another gsige???

Attachments

• IMG_9546.jpeg
    IMG_9546.jpeg
    214.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9545.jpeg
    IMG_9545.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 6
After all else is done do i then only test for chlorine???
For the first day (today), yes. CYA needs a day to mix.

If as u say i need 5 ppm. What does that mean in numbers or amounts of the liquid chlorine.
You want a little over a half gallon for 5ppm. But please play around with pool math so you can remember how to do it. You'll be using it all summer so let's get back on that horse.

Tomorrow post the full set of #s from the tests.

Witj the filter off it is on zero but with filter on it is only about 3? Is that not good?? Should i go buy another gsige???
I would replace it. With a single speed pump you should have more pressure than 2 or 3.

Reactions: Mdragger88
For the first day (today), yes. CYA needs a day to mix.

You want a little over a half gallon for 5ppm. But please play around with pool math so you can remember how to do it. You'll be using it all summer so let's get back on that horse.

Tomorrow post the full set of #s from the tests.

I would replace it. With a single speed pump you should have more pressure than 2 or 3.
The pump has been working fine and its the exact model the pool came with back in 2006. It died once and i replaced with same hayward model etc. not ready to spend for a new motor☺️maybe its the gauge???and by the hand feel in the water the force is real nice as strong as i ever felt it?

maybe its the gauge???
It's the gauge as you have good flow.

Plus. If we can get it working properly then you'll only have to backwash when you actually need it. Remember last year we were using it as an excuse to lower the CYA. You'll need alot less backwashes this year

Ok i added the R0870 powder to 10 ml of pool water and the solution turned the slightest pink almost nil. So i really have no chlorine. I then added the drops of R0871 and in only 1 drop it went completely clear. So for my 15x24 above ground pool what should i start with today for initial opening or shock? And should i leave the filter on for 24 hours starting now?

So for my 15x24 above ground pool what should i start with today for initial opening or shock?
60% of a gallon of fresh chlorine. Or the whole gallon of leftovers.

That's just to get you until tomorrow when we can get a valid CYA test.
And should i leave the filter on for 24 hours starting now?
Yes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support