Pool opened no DE

Melnic

Silver Supporter
Jun 7, 2017
Maryland
Well,
The guys that opened my pool did not put DE in. It was about 8 days and seemed like the pool was not filtering. I was gone a few days and my first clue was the pressure seemed high. I have a variable speed pump and it normally runs so low that the needle barely moves. I have to check filter pressure by running the pump up higher. My first clue was the polaris 280 cleaner was running lazy. Then I noticed the chlorinator said low flow at an RPM that typically has been fine. I bumped up the RPMS and the chlorinator still did not say good flow. Although I was not there to see the clean filter pressure when they opened, I Ran the RPMS up to an RPM I used last year and pressure seemed high. So, Starting with the basics, I started a backwash. There I noticed the water was not coming out cloudy so, I stopped everything and pulled the lid off the DE filter.
YUP, Just dirt on the screens and no signs of DE was ever put in. I pulled the top manifold off and pulled the filters out one by one and sprayed them off, then reinstalled and then put in 6lbs of DE.

The Polaris also needed some adjusting and all seems to be well.
I am friends with the pool guy and I did notice on the video cameras that the guys that came were not the guys from last year. I'll be emailing my friend letting him know about their mistake.

Was part of their start up to clean the filter? I am thinking yes since there was no DE in it. I bet they thought it was a cartridge filter so did not know about adding DE...............trying to give them the benefit of the doubt so.............

Kim:kim:

Well, the guys from same company backwashed and at least rinsed the filter. Those guys were the ones that serviced stuff all year. I think they either thought it was something different or did not follow any sort of checklist. It says right on the side what kind of filter it is. A sand filter valve looks alot like a DE filter but I would hope they would know the difference. Here are some pics

Attachments

• IMG_0935.JPG
    IMG_0935.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0934.JPG
    IMG_0934.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0933.JPG
    IMG_0933.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0932.JPG
    IMG_0932.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 6
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.