Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi all,

I'm a relatively new pool owner and opened my pool for the first time this past Saturday, 5/11. The water was well above the skimmer so I took it as an opportunity to clean the filter. After testing the water, I added some borax to raise the pH and also added two bags of salt. Over the past 24 hours the pump has been on a relatively modest RPM, 1500 for most of the past day. Tonight I briefly cranked the pump up to clear the flower petals from the surface, but then noticed a strange pattern coming from the return lines - a period of heightened cloudy water, followed by a period of clear water, followed by a period of cloudy water, etc. I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on what this might be, maybe residual salt or borax coming out of the filter? I've attached some pics if it's helpful for context. I haven't seen it happen again in the last 15 minutes or so. Last fall I had a company close the pool, I'm not totally sure what they put in besides a big jug of chlorine.

On another note, my FC dropped from 9.5 to 4.5 over two days, while CC remained 0 both days. I didn't have the SWG running since opening because FC was initially high and I wanted to let it come down, and today was very sunny. But I'm going to do an overnight OCLT, and test in the morning to see if FC has dipped further. If it has, I'll slam.

Last aside, I'm aware I haven't fully opened the hot tub yet and that there are plugs in the suction lines still, and that I need to vacuum (waiting on vacuum head delivery) :)

Attachments

• return_line_cloudy.jpg
    return_line_cloudy.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 7
  • return_line_clear.jpeg
    return_line_clear.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 7
  • return_line_cloud_again.jpeg
    return_line_cloud_again.jpeg
    329.9 KB · Views: 7
The bubbles are coming from the SWCG. When it generates, it creates hydrogen and chlorine gas. The chlorine goes into solution instantaneously. The hydrogen exits your returns.