Pool on rocky area

angiern2004

May 4, 2020
Northern CA
Hi,

I was considering getting a moderate size above ground pool. I don't want to kill the grass or take up our whole patio. Can I put one of these kinds of pools on top of an area that is made up of 'pathway fines'? Is there a style of pool you'd recommend for this? Is there a pad or some sort of base you'd recommend over this as well?

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: By pathway fines, do you mean basically very fine composite material? As long as it's very fine, stable, and level (within one inch from side to side/end to end) it should work. You would need something between it and the liner of course because any small perforation would mean disaster for the pool liner. Lots of pressure pushing downwards on the floor, not to mention swimmers and their feet jumping up & down. Many pool owners use various insulation panels or items like Gorilla Pads to help protect the liner. You might look into some of those products. Thanks for posting.

Can I put plywood or thick foam underneath the pool?? Would that be sufficient as long as its level??
You can. Any foam or insulation panels/pads should be taped together. Plywood .... ummmm..... not sure how well that would hold-up on the soil, especially if it gets moist. If everything is flat and remains dry it may be okay. I might still drape a tarp or something over it

It is the rocky area, so not right on top of dirt. So I could do plywood and tarp... or if I do foam do I need to cover that, and is there a specific kind of foam and tape that works best? I'll go straight for whatever is tried and true. :D

Here's the side of our house that rocky where I wanted to put a pool. The weeds have been removed and obviously the junk too. What do you think? Working on preparations to sell, so I don't want to kill the grass.

Attachments

• 61F58209-B0E2-4019-AC57-15B954155FEA_1_201_a.jpeg
    61F58209-B0E2-4019-AC57-15B954155FEA_1_201_a.jpeg
    759.2 KB · Views: 23

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now that I see the pictures I think you would be fine with rigid insulation, you might want to go 1 inch or thicker, triple taped seems like others said. I would level that ground, set my pavers, put down foam and build the pool.

I can't level the rocky area. It's graded to a drain that's in the middle of the denser part of the weeds (in the photo, weeds since removed). I would have to hope that the part of the rocks nearer the yard was flat enough.

It's ok though. I bought a bigger pool than will fit there, so I just have to be ok with killing a circle of grass and hoping whoever buys our house this summer doesn't care. Hopefully they'll get it with the quarantine and all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.