Pool not opened in 2 years - help!

Jul 1, 2015
Memphis, TN
This is my daughter's pool. They moved in and the pool was already dark green - because of "life" they didn't open it last year. I want to help them but not sure where to start. I follow this site for my own pool but haven't every started from this point!

Water is pretty cheap - the pool is vinyl and about 25,000 gallons (16 x 32), 1 skimmer, no chlorinator, sand filter. Here are my thoughts - does this make sense?

Drop the water level right below the skimmer returns using a sump pump or a siphon.
Refill with fresh water.
Brush a lot.
Drop the level again. (Do this a few times to start to replace some of the brackish water)

Turn on the pump (hasn't been started in 2 years but was replaced in 2017 per previous owners.)
Bring up the CYA which is now 0
Adjust PH (not sure of this but will lend her my test kit)
Once CYA is measuring and PH is in range - start the SLAM process?

Is this the right order? And how do we get all the gunk off the liner bottom. You can kinda see the top stair - nothing else. Might be alligators in there for all we know. :) Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_3271.jpeg
    IMG_3271.jpeg
    563 KB · Views: 22
Hey neighbor 👋👋
The 1st step is to blindly scoop as much debris as possible - a large leaf net with a strong pole is helpful. Also a manual vac with a leaf canister for once you think you have cleared the large debris.
Exchanging water may help speed things along if you wish.

As for cya since it’s definitely zero & the pool has been unattended for quite some time there may be ammonia happening in which case you want to deal with that 1st before adding cya.
Here’s how u check & deal with it👇

Are you going to be spearheading the process or is she?
It would definitely benefit her to join the forum & get her own kit if she is to carry out the processes & for ongoing maintenance purposes of course.

I am sure others will chime in soon with more helpful tips on clearing the swamp as well 😊

Get the pump running. Mix the water for 48 hours and do a full chemistry check. See what you are dealing with.

No point in doing your water exchanges until you know what you have with CYA, or CH, or ammonia.

Stock up on liquid chlorine and see if the water holds free chlorine.

Once you know all that you can develop a better plan of attack between water exchange or go right to the SLAM Process.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Get the pump running. Mix the water for 48 hours and do a full chemistry check. See what you are dealing with.

No point in doing your water exchanges until you know what you have with CYA, or CH, or ammonia.

Stock up on liquid chlorine and see if the water holds free chlorine.

Once you know all that you can develop a better plan of attack between water exchange or go right to the SLAM Process.
Thank you! We will do this.

Hey neighbor 👋👋
The 1st step is to blindly scoop as much debris as possible - a large leaf net with a strong pole is helpful. Also a manual vac with a leaf canister for once you think you have cleared the large debris.
Exchanging water may help speed things along if you wish.

As for cya since it’s definitely zero & the pool has been unattended for quite some time there may be ammonia happening in which case you want to deal with that 1st before adding cya.
Here’s how u check & deal with it👇

Are you going to be spearheading the process or is she?
It would definitely benefit her to join the forum & get her own kit if she is to carry out the processes & for ongoing maintenance purposes of course.

I am sure others will chime in soon with more helpful tips on clearing the swamp as well 😊
Thank you! I'm going to help her but she and her husband are smart and will take over soon. I'll have her join this forum. :)

9BA22656-6D92-4764-A3CB-D64532C4C838.jpeg

not to worry though, much worse has been fixed here many times. Check out some inspirational reading while you wait. (And forward it to your daughter so they can be ‘sold’ on the process)
:)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.