Pool Noodles In Skimmer?

I have had a pool company close my pool for the winter since we had it built. They blow out the lines, pour anti-freeze down the skimmer and then close it off with a "Super Gizzmo". I noticed this season that there are some hair line cracks in both skimmers near the adjustable collar and on the collar itself. That's a separate issue. This winter I want to put pool noodles in the skimmers as an extra layer of protection to prevent further damage. How does everyone do it? coil them in the skimmer? Cut them up? Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
The hair line cracks may be from shifting of soil and concrete (all hard to tell). When I use them along with the Gizzmo's, I wrap them around the Gizzmo in a circular fashion. The more you cover, the less water, which means more protection. Nothing is ever guaranteed, but it takes great force of ice expansion to crack a skimmer housing. One would assume that the ice will expand upwards first and out second, not placing too much pressure on the housing. Some things still remain a mystery!

Frost will and does lift houses. It will bust apart a steel drum. IF it has someplace to go (expand) it will take the easy way out. With water in the skimmer and in the throat and in the pool all connected together then lots of foam in the skimmer and throat will be needed. Fiberglass / plastic skimmers don't move much without cracking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.