Pool Newbie about to make major purchase -- need advice

Have you thought of trying an Intex pool for the first year or so. You can buy a 15' - 4' Intex pool for around $200.00. Any site prep that you do for the Intex will also be good when you upgrade to a better pool. The Intex will be able to be run off of a extension cord. You will be able to master pool maintenance.

I see ken beat me...you could consider the used pool approach (I got mine for free on CL)...up here you sometimes can get them for cheap with equipment. As for the water depth, I personally do not like 54 inch agp's since that means the water depth will be ~48 inches everywhere...to deep for the little people, too shallow for the big ones. I have a 48" agp which means the depth is about 42" and then dug a deep end (more work by the way) that is ~6' deep on one end. Best of both worlds...little ones can still touch, big ones can tread.

Thanks for the comments on my pool install.

I also highly recommend not running an extension cord, it's not safe as a dedicated wire with GFCI, that goes for any type of pool. Will the extension cord go on the ground? What if it rained yesterday and pooled water on the ground where the plugs connect, and then you, or your kids, step in that area??
I've seen pools with a similar set up and it's not safe, simple as that, period.

ALso note that the top line pool you noted is a resin/steel hybrid, so it's more than just 2" on the wall, resin won't rust.
To keep costs down I'd forego the SWG, beware of the hype, remember that they produce chlorhine....just like bleach, and you can add 1-2 bags of pool grade salt for probably10-15 bucks and it will last all summer.

All you need, mimimum, to clean the pool is the standard pkg kit that comes with a hose, pole and vacuum cleaner.

Your ahead of the game right now and your doing it right by asking the questions now, plenty of planning and plenty of questions will leave you right on schedule for a spring install. Ask questions here, I have no problem admitting that I probably couldn't have pulled off my own install without this forum, it's the only forum I ever paid to join because the knowledge here was/is worth 100X what I paid. Great group of people here!!

PS - I'm glad I put the Gorilla Pad in, we have some concern about roots at our site and I think this will protect the liner thru the years. It's really site dependant though, there is absolutely no padding value to it at all, it's about 1/16" thick and is solely to prevent tearing the liner, so don't buy if your looking for pool bottom comfort.

I've had a lot of time to think and study on this today. I badly sprained my foot last night, so much so that I couldn't put any weight on it whatsoever. First thing this morning, my wife got up and went to Walgreen's to buy me crutches just so I could get into the doctors office. At any rate, I took a sick day at work, so I've had pools on the brain all day long.

The Sharkline Matrix with the SWCG and fancy robotic pool cleaner was going to put me near or above 4K, and that was scrimping on important stuff like electrical work. So, I've rethought things a bit, and here's a scaled back shopping list. All from PoolSupplyWorld unless stated otherwise.

Sharkline Heritage - $1,126 (I think I can learn to love this over the Matrix)
Pentair SD60 Sand Filter/Pump - $368 WestSideWholesale.com
Foam Cove - $76
Unibead Pool Liner - $291
Wall Foam - $59
Wall Foam Adhesive - $28
Liner Pad - $114
A-Frame Ladder - $141
Solar Cover - $69 HomeDepot.com
Winter Cover - $43
Pool Filter Sand - $65 AceHardware.com
TFP Lifetime Membership - $30 TFPools :whoot:
TF-100 Test Kit - $59 TFTestkits.net
Misc. Cleaning Supplies - Approx. $75 ?????

Total Price - $2,529

This doesn't include any tools I'll need to get to install pool, copper wire for bonding, pavers for pool rails and pump, sand for the bottom, or running electricity to the site, chemicals for the pool, hoses/adapters I might need to install the filter/pump (I have no idea how to do that), but at least this way I can afford to buy all that stuff.

As per all of your suggestions, I will keep an eye on Craigslist, etc. and see what pops up on there before I purchase. I'm thinking it'll be end of February, first week of march before I buy. I'm a school teacher, hoping to get much of the pool install done during spring break (might be a month or so too early to swim here in Arkansas, but that will give me plenty of time to get the hang of managing pool chemistry.)

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! Still don't think my shopping list is 100% there yet, but perhaps we're getting closer.

Looks good to me, I'd say you could save a few more bucks and drop the wall foam (it's not necessary) and the pool bottom is only necessary if you have any liner puncture concerns (nut grass, rocky soils, nearby trees) so you could get it down another 2 hundred or so.

If your adequatly prepared and have some help you could get it done over the spring break, it'll be a big job though.

Don't forget that you need probably 2.5 cubic yards (or so) of pool bottom material, not sure of your local prices but that might be a couple hundred and you'll need a ladscape supplier for that.
Also, check with your municipality regarding set backs and other by-laws for pools.

Something else you could consider for the pool bottom material is screenings from a quarry if you have one somewhat nearby. Screenings is a by-product of crushing stone and consists mainly of dust and very small stone chips. If you use screenings make sure you get it dry. It will be very easy to work with. After you put it down and level it spray some water on it and compact it with a hand tamper or you could rent a plate compacter. This stuff will get like concrete. I've heard in some cases people using sand have overtime gotten foot prints on the bottom. Price in my area for screenings $3.25 a ton vs $30-$40 a yard for bar sand.

Just my 2 cents

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry to hear about the injury :cry:

I'm with cramer on the wall foam...not needed imo.

The new pump/filter combo you listed is not a 2-speed pump. I would still get a two speed.

You could consider extruded polystyrene insulation for the pool bottom. Depending on your ground, you would use it instead of sand and the liner pad. Not sure it would save you money though, but I sure like the results on my pool.

I used the gorilla pad on my install,same reasons as Cramar(peace of mind)
Always use a hard wired dedicated Gfci circuit.(2 would be better,1 for pump,1 for convience & other equipment)You can install the electric on a 4X4 post so it's close to the pump & if you place it right that post can become part of your deck.
This will help with electrical ? http://www.mikeholt.com/files/PDF/Pooldownload.pdf

Use a good reputable online dealer(if you shop online) as you may encounter some unforseen problems,trust me it's worth spending the few extra bucks for great customer service(especially since they have all your money upfront)
You may ask on the Forum for reviews of online sources.(I think you'll be pleasently surprised)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.