Pool New Build costs

bballa21

Mar 29, 2020
Charlotte, NC
Hello,

Our 43 year old in-ground vinyl pool is due for a major rehaul. Current liner is absolutely destroyed, it's been empty since end of last Summer so I'm not sure how structurally sound the walls are any more, the fiberglass steps are very old and have many small holes so that needs to be replaced, the equipment has to be at least 20-25 years old, one of the return lines is cracked and leaking, the 2 skimmers are cracked and leaking. It's a mess.

So instead of re-lining pool, I've reached out to a few pool builders to basically build a brand new pool from scratch, gunite, tanning ledge, spa, travertine, the whole bit. We're fortunate enough to afford it, but the costs compared to a new pool build just a few years ago, seem over the top. I don't want to be the last "sucker" if economy crashes and prices come down, but I also don't want to wait and prices continue to go up.

We have 2 young kids, we're not moving anywhere anytime soon, we're always outside with the kids, eating dinner on the patio, so we know it would be great to update this space to how we want it, so I'm not concerned too much with the fact that it's not adding much value to house (I've heard this argument many times from friends/family) BUT.. I also know you never buy high and sell low.

What is everyone's opinion of the pool industry's increasing costs? Am I right that costs should eventually come down? Or do we just get it done now?

Thanks
Rich

Last edited:
I just went through pricing my similar situation (vinyl lined pool--deteriorated when we bought the house). Priced with (4) different contractors--and even got a Fiberglass number. Typical Wall/Liner Pools were upwards of $75k, and the Fiberglass was outrageous ($100k+). I'm going the route of a DIY Pool kit for about 'half' the cost--so long as I don't completely screw something up, lol. I've been told concrete/gunnite be around the cost of a Fiberglass, so way more than I want to spend. I'm in construction--and really don't think you will see prices drop anytime soon--especially concrete. I paid a little over $100/YD just a few years ago, and now it is pushing $160/YD.

I just went through pricing my similar situation (vinyl lined pool--deteriorated when we bought the house). Priced with (4) different contractors--and even got a Fiberglass number. Typical Wall/Liner Pools were upwards of $75k, and the Fiberglass was outrageous ($100k+). I'm going the route of a DIY Pool kit for about 'half' the cost--so long as I don't completely screw something up, lol. I've been told concrete/gunnite be around the cost of a Fiberglass, so way more than I want to spend. I'm in construction--and really don't think you will see prices drop anytime soon--especially concrete. I paid a little over $100/YD just a few years ago, and now it is pushing $160/YD.
Thanks for the piece of info, coming from someone in construction. I wish I could do some sort of DIY project like that but I'm not that skilled and my wife will NOT go for that, haha.

Reactions: Lanzz and boxer156
My pool quote was initially around $62k for a freeform 105' perimeter freeform pool plus hot tub. However, after equipment and tile upgrades and additional concrete caused by moving the pool further back my pool is going to end up at around $72k. My advise is to get at least 3-4 bids. The prices I received varied significantly.

Hard to tell how fast they will correct, if they correct. We are pricing one out right now to compare and see if we can ride it out a few months to get a better deal.
Most that have talked with us said it is slowing down, but I take that as the crazy rush from COVID is wearing off, not as slowed down to the point it is affecting business.
To some degree you would think, well all the people that could build a pool probably already did, so the pot of potential customers is shrinking and shrinking. To add you have people that are holding off and if the sentiment of the economy keeps touching the negative side, less and less people will want to dish out 100K for a pool.
It is always best to negotiate in the slow months (fall / winter) with a PB, they like to secure work for the slower months to keep their crews busy. This may be the case or may not this go around.
If you really want to play the safe card, wait till next Fall 2023.

We're kicking the tires on a replacement for our almost 30 year old vinyl/composite wall pool. Here in the Southeast, I do not think prices go back to where they were. The continued in-migration of relatively well off people from the North has changed the supply demand picture ( I believe ) for the next 10 to 15 years. That said, even if prices stay where they were, I do think we get some leverage back with pool builders - their 'take it or leave it' negotiating positions on payment schedules and many other important commercial topics softens considerably in the coming 12 to 18 months, in my opinion.

We have a neighbor that did fiberglass and two others that did gunite - all ended up with spectacular pools (at equally spectacular prices...) But they are in and swimming - if we assume that each "overpaid" in today's market by $30K and that their kids will get 10 years of enjoyment out of it before they head off to college, the overpayment part isn't as painful at $3K per year.

We completed our build in 2019. Same pool today from same builder would be about 70% higher. I don't see demand slowing in Florida. Maybe the crazy lead times and supply chain issues will get better.
Your kids are little and you want the pool now. I would go for it!

Reactions: Lanzz
I just tried to stay within ~10% of home value in actual pool costs, also didn't finance it. We weren't sure either but inflation and labor costs just keep going up. We met with a bunch of PBs and felt we found what we wanted for a price we were willing to pay. It also helps living in a area where the pool may see 9+month usage around the year and living on a street/neighborhood where not having a pool is actually a major con to anyone looking to move in.

Finally we plan to stay put for a while, at least 10 years, so 10 years of pool usage and fun times is worth it for us. By the time we will sell the home and need to worry about getting our money back everything should have appreciated anyways. Maybe not the best investment financially but sentimentally it will be great and I don't think I will lose money on it (at least not so much that I wouldn't call it worth it). I wouldn't sell in a down market and I have nothing but time so when I do sell it will be because I want to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lanzz
Hello,

Our 43 year old in-ground vinyl pool is due for a major rehaul. Current liner is absolutely destroyed, it's been empty since end of last Summer so I'm not sure how structurally sound the walls are any more, the fiberglass steps are very old and have many small holes so that needs to be replaced, the equipment has to be at least 20-25 years old, one of the return lines is cracked and leaking, the 2 skimmers are cracked and leaking. It's a mess.

So instead of re-lining pool, I've reached out to a few pool builders to basically build a brand new pool from scratch, gunite, tanning ledge, spa, travertine, the whole bit. We're fortunate enough to afford it, but the costs compared to a new pool build just a few years ago, seem over the top. I don't want to be the last "sucker" if economy crashes and prices come down, but I also don't want to wait and prices continue to go up.

We have 2 young kids, we're not moving anywhere anytime soon, we're always outside with the kids, eating dinner on the patio, so we know it would be great to update this space to how we want it, so I'm not concerned too much with the fact that it's not adding much value to house (I've heard this argument many times from friends/family) BUT.. I also know you never buy high and sell low.

What is everyone's opinion of the pool industry's increasing costs? Am I right that costs should eventually come down? Or do we just get it done now?

Thanks
Rich
No one knew the 2007 housing market crash/correction was going to happen until it started. Even then, no one knew the extent of it until it kept going south through 2010.

I bought a house in March of 2020 and had lots of work done (solar, roof, new kitchen, basement finishing, painting, etc.). The contractors were tripping over themselves to underbid each other because everything was locked down and they had no work. Fast forward to now, they are swimming in work and bid everything out super high (feast or famine).

Overall, I think pool prices are directly linked to interest rates (affordability for monthly 20 yr payment) and the stock market (consumer confidence).

Question for you....How come you don't get a another liner pool for half the cost?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.