Pool motor not starting - extremely hot

Apr 4, 2017
Cypress, TX
My main pool motor is not working. After Harvey and the electrical surges throughout the neighborhood, I figured it got the motor even though my booster pump continues to work.

I went out today to get the specs off of it (A.O. Smith Century Centurion / Model: B230SE / Serial: 007113M / Type: CX / FR: Y56J / HP: 2.0) and the thing tried to start but failed. I touched it and it was extremely hot. I'm guessing it has some thermal safety switch so it won't burn itself up.

I replaced the diffuser (Part#: SP3021-B) and impeller (Part#: SP3016-C) in 9/16.

What could be wrong and how should I go about fixing it?

Ok...pulled off the motor from the pump. The motor will start and spin for approximately 15 seconds and then I hear a slight pop and it stops spinning. After about 5 minutes, I hear the pop again and I can restart the motor. The impeller spins, but I don't know if I would call it spinning freely. If I spin it hard, I can get 2 revolutions.

Ok..any recommended places to purchase a starter capacitor for this motor? Can someone confirm this is the part --> http://amzn.to/2xbbfh0
[FONT=&quot]More buying choices for[h=1][COLOR=#555555 !important]
Motor Capacitor 25 MFD 370VAC RD-25-370[/h]More buying choices for[h=1][COLOR=#555555 !important][/COLOR]
Motor Capacitor 25 MFD 370VAC RD-25-370[/h]More buying choices for[h=1][COLOR=#555555 !important][/COLOR]
Motor Capacitor 25 MFD 370VAC RD-25-370[/h][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=&quot]More buying choices for[/FONT][h=1][COLOR=#555555 !important][/COLOR]
Motor Capacitor 25 MFD 370VAC RD-25-370[/h][FONT=&quot]More buying choices for[/FONT][h=1][COLOR=#555555 !important][/COLOR]
Motor Capacitor 25 MFD 370VAC RD-25-370[/h]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If it was the start capacitor, the motor would not spin up and would just sit there and hum.

More than likely the bearings are bad creating a higher than normal load which creates excess heat in the motor and then trips the thermal limiter.

There are several modes of failure for an capacitor.

1) An open would not allow the motor to start so that cannot be a cause.

2) A change in capacitance change is very rare (<2%) and is also accompanied by a change in the capacitor can volume so that is usually noticeable. The capacitance can only decrease but it would have to change by a lot for the motor to over current that much so the expansion of the can would be very noticeable if not catastrophic.

3) Current leakage is another possibility but if it is small, it won't usually affect the motor that much and if it is large, the heat caused by that will usually cause dielectric expansion if not complete enclosure failure so again, very noticeable.

4) A capacitor short may allow the motor to start and would draw excess current but the motor would also start slow, run slow and run very rough so it would be very noticeable. I did not read that as a symptom but perhaps it just wasn't mentioned. Plus, because of the excess heat in the capacitor, most of the time these end up as opens or expanded cans.

But anyone that is working on a motor should have an ohm meter in their tool kit. Opens, shorts and leakage are easily diagnosed with an ohm meter if you know what to look for.

Capacitance decreasing in a run capacitor is very common. A drop of 10%-15% will be enough to affect the operation of the motor.
Not something you will detect with a regular ohm meter, a capacitance meter will readily show it though.
I did HVAC for 45 years, dealt with PSC motors on a daily basis. A bad capacitor can cause the motor to do some really strange things.

Any change in capacitance large enough (well above the capacitor tolerance) that would affect the motor performance and trip the thermal limiter would also increase the slip of the motor so it will run slower and hesitate which should be fairly obvious. That is the missing piece for me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.