Pool Motor is dead after only 3 seasons...

May 16, 2017
Newtown, PA
So I came home today to find that the pool was not on. When I went out to check it I saw that the breaker had been tripped. Switched the breaker back on and turned pump back on. Made a loud humming noise and then tripped the breaker again. Had my pool service out for a repair call and they got it running again, but he did say it is making a sound like the motor is going and the spin thing at the back wouldn't go. About 15 minutes after he left he breaker tripped again. Is is normal for a motor to die after only 3 seasons? How do I stop this from happening with the new motor? Any help is much appreciated.

Depends how hard your winters were. Pool motor getting buried under snow is not good for it. My pool company offers to remove motors at pool closing and reinstall at pool opening. I found it to be a break even proposition between paying to remove and reinstall the motors (I have 3) or accept that one will fail every few years due to rust or corrosion. Usually the bearings go.

Is this something a cover over the pump would help during the winter months?

The problem that I found with covers for heaters or pumps is critters seem to find them and nest under them in the winter. They make a mess that can be more corrosive then leaving them out.

Just had to clean out a mouse nest from my breaker control panel by the pool equipment. Found that when replacing a Jandy actuator. Don't know how long that nest was there.

I think a lot will depend on where the motor sits and how the weather impacts where it sits. If its in a shaded area during the winter and never get the sun on it to dry it out then I think your motor will not last as long as one that is in a better location where snow doesn't pile up and it gets sun on the area to dry it out. Also something to consider is the prevailing wind patterns in the winter. If the wind is always blowing directly at the motor and forcing moisture inside the motor that will have a negative effect on the life span of the motor.

Another option for us cold climate folk is you can bring your pump inside a building to get it out of the weather. Its an extra step for sure but I always bring my pump and multiport valve inside for the winter because there is no reason to subject them to all the harsh things mother nature dose during a New England winter.

My pump died after 4 1/2 seasons. Front bearing dried out. A lot of corrosion and beyond repair. There are so many factors and sometimes pool owners get lucky, while most of the time not. I am in the process of developing a cover that prevents 90% of the rain from hitting the pump during the season. At the end of the season, I will remove the pump (2 unions) and 3 wires at timer and bring inside and store in the basement.

My pump ran for an average of 10 hours daily and 5 months each year, so after 4 seasons it called it quits. Although, in the winter the area in question is shady for most of the day and buried under 3 feet of snow for months at a time probably made things move quicker. It also appeared after taking apart that there was corrosion behind the shaft seal, but not enough that I think created the problem. There was no apparent leak during any season as I am always near the pump.

Only time will tell on this one, but again anyone getting 10 years out of a pump that leaves it outside is lucky (IMO) and probably is in a warmer type of climate. Pumps should be designed with protective covers (But then why would Hayward want pumps lasting 10 + years).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.