pH: 7.7 (7 hours ago)
TA: 80 (yesterday)
CH: 240 (yesterday)
CYA: 90 (5 days ago)
SALT: 4760 (7 hours ago)
TEMPERATURE: 72° (7 hours ago)
CSI: -0.42 (7 hours ago)
==========================================

Above are my test results from this morning. I am awaiting a shipment of calcium increaser to raise my Ch to around 380-400 which should in turn help increase my CSI. The question is: Why is my ORP reading (portable device) only at 511 well out of the acceptable range of 680-720? My suggested Cl range is 4 - 12 according to Pool Math. It appears that the acceptable range should much higher in order for the sanitizer to be more efficient. Any suggestions??

ORP is disrupted by CYA in the water. The forum has seen few ORP systems that consistently work and can be relied upon.

I do not have an ORP system just a measurement tool. The effectiveness of the chlorine is hindered by the high CYA value so that means a higher CL is needed to be effective. The ORP just measures the effectiveness of the CL. With my level of 511mv would not it take over 3 hours to kill any contaminants? Whereas at 700mv the kill rate is almost instaneous. My question was is the range of CL in Pool Math too low for the high CYA value of my pool?

Lowering your CYA enough to get a reasonably reliable (though that's arguable) reading out of your ORP is going to cause your chlorine to burn off faster. That's going to require you to run your SWG longer to compensate.

Why is it that important to get an unnecessary ORP meter working that you're willing to sacrifice your SWG?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.