Pool Math Glitch?

TazJMT

Jun 19, 2014
Spotswood, NJ
Hello All,

2 part question here-the first part may or may not be an issue depending on if I am understanding it correctly or not. The 2nd part has to be a problem with the app.

At the suggestion of this forum, I have been using (loving) the pool math app this year. Been great to know what to add to get my levels (mostly FC) where I want it to go.

Since I am using liquid chlorine this year instead of the trichlor pucks, I also need to check up on CYA to see if it needs to be added. I was just a touch below the 30 line, so I called it 30 and added enough to get +10 (assuming that would have me just under 40-yeah I know logarithmic not linear and all that)

EDIT-10,000 gal pool

Ok, on to the concerns:
1) I tested my FC and it was 2.5. I wanted to get to to 5.5. So i go to pool math app and using 12.5% bleach it says to add 1 cup 7oz. But then I realized that I still had the 30 listed under CYA so I changed it to 40 assuming that would only change the recommended FC level. Instead, it also changed how much I have to add to 3 cups 2oz. Now I know that the higher your CYA level, the more FC you need for it to be effective. But this is also telling me that the more CYA I have in the pool, the more bleach I have to add to get to the same exact FC level? (read adding 3ppm at 30 CYA needed 1cup 7 oz, but adding the same 3ppm at 40CYA needed 3cups 2oz.) Is this correct or a glitch? I only noticed it because i saw the result and then changed the CYA i have in the pool and saw the result changed. I didn't think a higher CYA made you add more bleach to get to the same desired level, only that your desired level should be higher.

2) Depending on what value in the app you change last, it recommends a different amount of bleach. Let me explain step by step what I did, stick with me:

I click on the FC box in pool math. It listed my CYA as 40. My current FC is 2.5. Lastly, I change the target chlorine to 5.5 and it says I need to add 3 cups 7oz of 12.5% bleach.
Then I change my CYA level to 30 and click "done", then change it right back to 40 and click "done" (and do not change the FC numbers at all). It should go right back to 3 cups 7oz right? Nope, it says I need to add 3 cups 2oz instead.

So what I am saying is that the ending values I had listed in the app were 40CYA/2.5FC/5.5 target FC both times. But depending on if the last thing I changed was the CYA value or the target FC value, the amount of bleach I needed to add was different. That cannot be right! I have not tried this with any other levels like ph or TA yet

So the second part has to be a glitch and makes me wonder which answer to trust.
The first part may or may not be based on if a knowledgeable person says "Yes, you need to add more bleach to get to the same desired FC level with higher CYA". Just to clarify that last point again, I know you need a higher desired level of FC with higher CYA. But the app is also telling me I need to add more bleach to get to the same exact FC level based on what the CYA is.

Last edited:
I cannot seem to replicate it.

Can you take screen shots of what you are seeing and post them?

Bear in mind that the higher your CYA, the more unusable chlorine you have (bound up by CYA). I'd hazard a guess that this is why you need a little more to raise to your target.

Edit: oops, too late. Maybe this assumption is incorrect?

Bear in mind that the higher your CYA, the more unusable chlorine you have (bound up by CYA). I'd hazard a guess that this is why you need a little more to raise to your target.
No, the CYA level will not make any difference as to how much bleach you need to raise your FC by a certain amount.

I’m seeing the error. I believe it’s using the upper limit on the suggested range NOT what you’re putting the target field.

@Leebo @redth something is wonky here.

Which platform are you all seeing the issue? I did it on my Win10 app. and could not get it to show up.

iPhone

Try putting in 5ppm as current and 8ppm target then lower the CYA value to 30ppm. The “Suggested Ranges” of FC will shift to 2-6ppm and then the lower panel will blabber about lowering FC. chemical addition calculations should be based on user inputs (Target level). Right now it’s trying to be “smart” by saying you shouldn’t be above 6. I’m not a fan of Apps telling me what to do .... I tell Apps what to do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m seeing the error. I believe it’s using the upper limit on the suggested range NOT what you’re putting the target field.

@Leebo @redth something is wonky here.
This is my first year using liquid chlorine so I have no idea if 3 or 4 cups is too much for a 10,000 gallon pool to add 3ppm. I have just been adding 3 or 4 cups per day as it has told me. But I would assume it is not giving me the upper limit of the FC recommendation based on the CYA because that would mean i am dosing it to FC 7 at night and then ending up at FC 2 by the end of the next day-i can't imagine I am losing 5ppm per day

Oh yeah I guess it should have mentioned I have a 10,000 gallon pool when I was going through my process since that effects how much i would add

First picture-values and I added chlorine last
second picture-what it tells me to add
third picture-values and i added CYA last (same pic as the 1st one but the order of what i input was different)
fourth picture-what it tells me to add

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 7
Try putting in 2ppm for current and 5ppm for Target and 30ppm for CYA. Then raise CYA to 40 lower lower the target to 4....the bleach addition jumps from 16oz to 33oz ????

Something is changing internally and causing an error

And also keep your FC numbers the same and keep increasing what your CYA is-the amount it tells you to add will keep going up which mknauss just told us is wrong and CYA should not change the amount of bleach you need to add to get to a certain FC amount

If you change the CYA by entering it as new test result the data is correct. If you change the CYA on the FC calculation page, it is incorrect.

If you enter the new CYA level via adding a Test Result, the calculation works. But when you are in the FC calculation page, and change the CYA level, it does not work. I do not know why.

Reactions: TazJMT
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.