Pool Math App... trying to help a friend.

May 29, 2018
Chicago, IL
Have a quick question... Last year at this time.. I had a high CYA issue and through searching for an answer... I found this community have have adopted the TFP method and have never looked back.. no problems until this year when I failed to check the pool for a 5 day period. UGH.. had ammonia.. got that fixed with the help of this site once again. I am now an "expert" LOL... and am trying to help a stubborn friend out. He has a 3 year old fiberglass IG pool... 22,000 gallons.. anyway... he told me that his pool is cloudy and he is having a problem keeping chlorine and his pool guy told him to dump 24 gallons of 12.5% and 2 pounds of this and 5 pounds of that in the pool to "fix" the problem. He doesn't know what the "this and that" are... I asked him what his levels were... he told me that he doesn't know... he just brings water in twice a week and buys what they tell him... they never tell him his levels.... I wanted to choke him out since I told him last year what I've learned on this site and how easy and cheap it is to maintain properly using the TFP methods... I grabbed my test kit and drove over to test his pool...
July 3rd
FC 2.0
CC 1.0
PH 7.2
TA 230
CH 325
CYA -- I tested his CYA and was well over 100... I tried the dilution method with 50/50 pool water to tap water... and was still over the 100 mark... which tells me his CYA is over 200.

I told him to order the TF-100 kit to test his own water instead of getting the pool company rich. He placed the order. I told him that his CYA is way too high... that he will have to drain/fill his pool until the cya is down to 30-50ppm. then will probably need to SLAM... I explained the process and his head was spinning.. I told him that I would help him out in the process... no problem...

I added a gallon of 31.45% Muriatic acid to lower his TA and a couple gallons of 12.5% to keep his levels up..

I went over the next couple days to check his levels.. and added more acid and told them to add 1 gallon in the morning and 1 gallon in the evening until his kit arrives... I tried to maintain his level to around 12.0 for his high CYA. told him to do a couple cycles draining 2 feet and refilling while waiting for kit... His kit came in on July 8th and I went over to show him how to do the tests. Side by side... we tested together and compared results. I had him download the pool math app to enter his results. I told him to keep adding chlorine to keep 12ppm until he drains/fills to drop his CYA.

As of last night... he sill has not drained 1 drop of water... he's just dumping 2 gallons in a day... I told him that I will help him ... but he needs to either read this site (which I know he won't do) or listen and do what I tell him or im not wasting my time. I know I can't make him follow the TFP method... can only lead him to clear pool water...just can't make him swim in it...

I am wondering... I know I can make multiple pools in my app... (under my account) ... what I am wondering is.... can I have two pools in my app.. where I can check on his entries when needed? He said that he would give me his username/password... but I don't want to have to sign out of mine and sign into his every time I need to ck his pool...

by the way... his pool guy told him that he is losing his chlorine because he keeps his pool at 88-90 degrees... that he has customers with CYA well over 300 with no problems.... I told him to never talk to his pool guy again and drain off some water...

Well, you tried right? It actually sounds like you've been trying very hard. You are correct about the water exchange followed by the SLAM. As for the APP, I have more than one pool loaded under my profile. One for MY pool, and one for members here when I just want to play around, so you should be able to load another pool. You just need his info from each test.

Or go with Richard's idea of making his APP logs visible.

Well, you tried right? It actually sounds like you've been trying very hard. You are correct about the water exchange followed by the SLAM. As for the APP, I have more than one pool loaded under my profile. One for MY pool, and one for members here when I just want to play around, so you should be able to load another pool. You just need his info from each test.

Or go with Richard's idea of making his APP logs visible.
Yeah.. I know I can make another pool.. and enter his test info... I was hoping I could just flip to his pool seamlessly.. and see what he is entering.

I think doing it the other way would work. Instead of having two accounts, use one with two pools and share the login information with your friend. Provided you trust your friend with your account.
But I think the safest approach is for your friend to create a separate account and simply share the logs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.