Pool Math App - Suggestion on test results logging

Sep 7, 2018
Jersey Shore
The "Weather" is added to each log entry made, which is of no practical use to me, but it would be nice if rainfall over some limit (perhaps 0.25 inches) was logged automatically by the app as an additional "Note".

This makes a difference to those of us with SWGs, as we must gradually crank up the number of hours the SWG runs to account for losses in FCL levels due to more sun exposure, and while a cloudy day tends to result in less sun impact on FCL, rain in a significant amount can lower FCL.

This effect is worse for those of us with smaller pools.

Accurate rainfall data may be an issue. It might rain 0.6 inches at my exact location and a block away it might only rain 0.2 inches. I believe the present weather data available in the PoolMath app comes from "official" weather stations which could be miles away from a user location. It would be nice if the user could set a specific weather station in the app. If the user had a PWS (Personal Weather Station) that interfaced with Weather Underground and if that data could be imported into the PoolMath app a more localized weather picture would be available. Or if the user could interface their PWS directly or thru the equipments internet app, that might also work. But working with multiple PWS interface may prove to be problematic.

I have an Accurite PWS, just in case the PoolMath developers get bored and want to try to interface with it. :poke:

Many of us use the present weather data and other PoolMath info to see trends for chlorine use/additions and other trends. :party:

I'm only able to work off of memory here as it's been awhile since we've looked at any of the weather details so please note that there's a GOOD chance that whatever I type below maybe 100% wrong...........

The "Weather" is added to each log entry made, which is of no practical use to me, but it would be nice if rainfall over some limit (perhaps 0.25 inches) was logged automatically by the app as an additional "Note".

There are roughly 20 different weather variables that actually gets recorded on the server every time you save, and I do believe that rain over the last XYZ hours is one of them. In theory it wouldn't take much to enter that into the App. The key issue is however where should it go, I'd have to peak there at where could we best put that info and so forth. No promises here, but I'll add it to a list of future ideas to look into.

If the user had a PWS (Personal Weather Station) that interfaced with Weather Underground and if that data could be imported into the PoolMath app a more localized weather picture would be available. Or if the user could interface their PWS directly or thru the equipment internet app, that might also work.

Again please note, the chance that I'm 100% wrong here is high, so don't murder me if I'm wrong. I'm answering this solely on memory. To tie into the weather station I would suspect we would need to purchase an API key from Weather Underground. This way we could access their info and so forth when the user triggers the request. This is actually how we've got it setup now only instead of Weather Underground we use Accuweather. Why did we do this?? A 3,300% difference in price. :)

You are correct Lee @Leebo - Weather Underground used allow free access to their API. That changed several years ago. Now they want a ridiculous price to access their API. And now they are owned by IBM - so the price will probably go up.

Since the present data could be miles away from the users locale, it might not be overly accurate - but it's better than nothing. At least it gives the user an idea of the weather.

I wonder if it would be possible to have an option for those of us with a PWS to choose that in the app somehow?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.