Pool lost water down to the bottom of the skimmers - New Jersey, US

PashkaTLT

May 23, 2022
NJ, US
Hello guys,

I wanted to swim today (I have a heater, so water is almost 90 degrees), but found that my pool has lost water down to the bottom of the skimmers. I swam 2 days ago and everything was fine. I also didn't see any water loss (or didn't notice) yesterday. I don't think we had freezing temperatures here, but we were close. Weather history websites say the lowest in my area was 43 - 48 degrees. I personally think it was lower, maybe down to 38, but not freezing. We had rain yesterday. 2 days ago water level was 1-1.5 inches from the top of the skimmers. The pump + heater was working about 10 hours a day, 12pm - 10pm (I forgot to switch it to night-time for cold temperatures)
I don't see any water around pump or heater.

What could happen? What should I do/check first?

Last edited:
Hello guys,

I wanted to swim today (I have a heater, so water is almost 90 degrees), but found that my pool has lost water down to the bottom of the skimmers. I swam 2 days ago and everything was fine. I also didn't see any water loss (or didn't notice) yesterday. I don't think we had freezing temperatures here, but we were close. Weather history websites say the lowest in my area was 43 - 48 degrees. I personally think it was lower, maybe down to 38, but not freezing. We had rain yesterday. 2 days ago water level was 1-1.5 inches from the top of the skimmers. The pump + heater was working about 10 hours a day, 12pm - 10pm (I forgot to switch it to night-time for cold temperatures)
I don't see any water around pump or heater.

What could happen? What should I do/check first?
Are you saying the bottom of the opening or the bottom below the basket?
If at the opening, check for missing grout around the skimmer throat.
If the bottom of the skimmer below the basket, is the very bottom black with several screws around the perimeter, a black-bottom skimmer? Notorious leakers. If not a black-bottom skimmer, is the skimmer body cracked down low.
Could be a broken suction pipe, or leak at a return line and the water was pumped out somewhere until the skimmer ran dry.

Are you saying the bottom of the opening or the bottom below the basket?
If at the opening, check for missing grout around the skimmer throat.
If the bottom of the skimmer below the basket, is the very bottom black with several screws around the perimeter, a black-bottom skimmer? Notorious leakers. If not a black-bottom skimmer, is the skimmer body cracked down low.
Could be a broken suction pipe, or leak at a return line and the water was pumped out somewhere until the skimmer ran dry.
Thank you. I added more water, turned on the pump and turns out a pipe above ground cracked. Thank God, will be easy to fix.

Reactions: Dirk
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.