pool loses water every winter

kteachrm

Bronze Supporter
Sep 27, 2014
Northeast OH
I have lost probably more than 2 feet of water since closing at the end of September. I drained it to just above the return and it now only has about 2 feet of water in it. I'm in the Cleveland area and have an above ground with a walkaround deck all the way around the pool (it's a Johnny Weismuller). Because the deck isn't able to be removed, the cover just lays on top of it and is anchored at each fence post. During the summer, I only needed to add water twice (and only an inch or two), so it wasn't losing much and I assume it wasn't leaking. That makes me think it's not leaking now. It loses water like this every winter and I'm baffled. I have to buy a new winter cover every year as the weight of the snow rips out all the grommets. I'm tempted to add water before we get a hard freeze, but I'm hestitant without knowing why it's losing so much. I pump the water off of the cover as often as I can to lessen the weight on the cover. Any possibility that somehow water siphons through the cover. I've never bought the mesh cover so I assume it won't siphon??? I'm just afraid that one of these years the pool will collapse from the weight of the mountains of snow we get up here. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

With an above ground, no drain correct? I wasn't sure if your pool was set-in a bit below grade. Also, does your DE filter use a plunger or multiport valve? If MPV, is there any chance water is slowly/continually being lost to waste (i.e. bad spider gasket)?

As for water siphoning off of the cover - YES! That has happened to others. So make sure to rule that out as a possibility.

Do you remove the pump afterwards or leave it on the cover? weight of pump will force water onto cover if smallest of holes is present.

I don't use a pump for this reason. 3/8" clear tube inside of 4' piece of 3/4" pvc . Clear tube so you can see the water coming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.