Pool looks clear but CC is increasing

Noob123

May 12, 2020
Gallatin
I’m on day 6 of a SLAM. Water looks clear so I did an OCLT this morning. At midnight TC was 16 and CC was .5. In the morning, TC was 16 and CC was 2. I opened with a CC of .5 so I don’t understand why the CC is going up. I’ve got some birch trees near the pool that are dropping seeds and occasionally leaves into the pool. Could this be the cause? If it is, I’m screwed because rain is expected everyday and the seeds and leaves are going to increase. I don’t have a robot so is impossible to get everything off the floor of the pool without vacuuming and I can’t do this if it is raining. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of invisible algae when you can’t keep organics out of the pool? If this continues much longer, should I floc it so I can vacuum it all out?

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP! :wave: It is odd that of the 3 SLAM-passing criteria, the CCs is the one holding you up at this point. I'm not so sure the droppings are to blame though. At least not if you get them out fairly soon. If they sat for a long time and started to break-down, that would be different. I would avoid the floc. Did you have any special chemicals or products added to the water when it was closed previously? What type of chlorine/bleach are you using for your SLAM?

You might also post a full set of test results and a pic of your water just so we can see the entire picture there.

Reactions: Noob123
CC burns off in sunlight. So you've probably been forming a bunch and not having it show up on the test. But after a night of formation, and no time to dissipate, now you have it.

Just to be sure, you haven't added anything other than bleach? Because MPS "shock" like Leslie's Fresh-n-clear can read as CC.

Just because the pool water looks great doesn't mean there isn't anything reacting with the bleach. There is water you can't see inside the filter. Cleaning it might fix the problem. Or at least give you something to do besides worry.

We didn’t add anything at closing other than Polyquat. I have been using 10 percent liquid chlorine for the slam. I can’t upload a picture but the water would look clear in a picture. I think it might be a tiny bit cloudy since I can’t see details of leaves on the bottom so I assume I need to continue the SLAM. It might be time to replace the sand in the sand filter since it hasn’t been done in several years but I really don’t want to mess with this now unless I need to. I tested the chemicals, and CC is currently 16, PH is 7.8, TA is 40, Cya appears to be either 30 or 40. After testing the pool again this morning, CC has gone down to .5 so I don’t understand why it tested higher this morning since I haven’t added any more chlorine. I did remove a few leaves off the bottom though. After removing the leaves, could the sun and chlorine burn it off that quickly or was there a testing error? The R-003 reagent expired in April it but has been stored inside. I’m also curious to know if results can be skewed if the water is cold because it was colder than usual this morning when I did the test.

You don't need to change the sand. Mine is over ten years old. Try deep cleaning your filter.

I'd just backwash the filter for now. Maybe have someone else work the switch so you can be there to see the filth that comes out the waste line right at the beginning. Once things are cleared up and you settle into a routine, then try a deep clean.

If things look blurry, you're still a ways from finishing. My water is clear. So clear I can look at the drain cover in the deep end and easily tell that the screws holding it on are Phillips head. I can toss a quarter into the deep end and call heads or tails from the deck. You probably don't have to be that crystal clear to call it clear for purposes of ending the SLAM, but you'll get there if you maintain things the TFP way. Guests will be awestruck when they see the crystalline water. Not exaggerating.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.