pool liner question

Aug 25, 2016
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Hello all, I have a brand new liner that was given to me by a friend that took their pool down. My pool is 21 feet round and I just learned that the liner is actually for a 24 foot round. I have never changed or dealt with liners (yet) so I am just wondering if anyone knows for a fact that I either can or cannot use a 24 foot liner and just cut off the excess when it is installed. Are liners completely flat or are they actually formed in the shape of a pool like they have a bottom, cove, walls because then I can see it being a problem. Would be nice to save hundreds of dollars. thanks

They are a circle at the bottom so too large of a liner would be very wrinkled as it would be 3ft larger in diameter all the way around.

Also, there are different methods for securing the liner to the top of the wall.

An overlap liner overlaps the wall and is held up by clips that go over the top edge - that type you could trim.

Others have a molded bead that snaps into a track. If that is the kind you have, then there is really no way to make it work, even if you were ok with the massive amount of wrinkles a wrong size liner would create.

Yes I forgot to mention it is an overlap and that is the type I need but.... So as Mdragger88 said in their reply if the bottom is in fact circle/pool "shaped" then where the cove (where the liner starts to come up the wall) is supposed to be is actually going to be a foot and a half up the wall and probably look terrible..... Anyone want to buy a brand new 24 foot liner on the cheap?!?!

Yes I forgot to mention it is an overlap and that is the type I need but.... So as Mdragger88 said in their reply if the bottom is in fact circle/pool "shaped" then where the cove (where the liner starts to come up the wall) is supposed to be is actually going to be a foot and a half up the wall and probably look terrible..... Anyone want to buy a brand new 24 foot liner on the cheap?!?!

With supply chain issues that are going on, liners are like gold. Put that thing on FB Marketplace, or something similar, and it will be gone in no time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.