Pool liner, new liner replacement, 2 small stones in opposite ends 3/8”….. should i drain and pull the corners and grab them….

Nashvillejoe

Gold Supporter
Apr 14, 2013
Nashville
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Or should i just cut the stones out- and wet patch with some of the liner left over from the stair cutouts???……. Pebbles actually, but over 5 years they will punch through.

I have a ton of liner to patch with…..and both areas are in shallow places…… i have a sport pool so i could drain out 3’ pull a corner and have my daughter crawl under there and grab it…… 1 pebble in each end……. I am also fine with cutting a patch……. and popping it out while the pool is full…….

are the adhesives good to the point it will bond in a wet application and last for 7 years???

i feel really stupid……. But i know i have to address it!!!

thoughts!!!

I would do what I had to do to NOT cut and patch the new liner. I am guessing one is in the deep end. As such I am willing to bet very few people will be able to stand or mess with it so I would think about leaving it unless you thing the pool cleaner will mess with it.

The shallow end one..........do you think you could gently push it down into the bottom of the pool so it is flush and does not stick up?

I would do what I had to do to NOT cut and patch the new liner. I am guessing one is in the deep end. As such I am willing to bet very few people will be able to stand or mess with it so I would think about leaving it unless you thing the pool cleaner will mess with it.

The shallow end one..........do you think you could gently push it down into the bottom of the pool so it is flush and does not stick up?
They are both in the shallow end- opposite sides…… so i was going to take 3’ out of the pool …… pull the corners and have my 9 year old crawl in and grab them…..

Reactions: kimkats
They are both in the shallow end- opposite sides…… so i was going to take 3’ out of the pool …… pull the corners and have my 9 year old crawl in and grab them….. filling the pool back up- i was going to keep a gap of 2“ in each corner for the air to escape and put tile spacers i used to lock the liner in place that way the air in the corners will have a way to vacate as the water pushes the liner into the sides ….. since the liner has been fitted for a week- i thought its stretched in the right way….. i don’t want to put a shop vac on the liner for fear of tearing the liner

how does that sound

Of course they are :( Glad you have a little that is of an age they can do stuff like this.
I have a sport pool so shallow on one side deep and shallow on the other….. i made the mistake of hiring a couple of high school seniors to sweep and vacuum the bottom ……. Not happy about that

• Angry
You know what??? I would have THEM come back and crawl under the liner. That is going to be HOT and nasty work. They did it and they should fix it BUT saying that I also would NOT let them do it since they could/may do more harm than good.

You know what??? I would have THEM come back and crawl under the liner. That is going to be HOT and nasty work. They did it and they should fix it BUT saying that I also would NOT let them do it since they could/may do more harm than good.

so i carefully marked the liner at the radius with White Duct Tape cut along the track which would allow me to be identical on my placement back into the tract
secondly…… i pulled the rocks….. you can see all the rocks i pulled out…… anyone of them would have eventually punched through…..

got the liner back on- with a vacuum and there was about 4” of water when i pulled the rocks out …… so took a minute to get the creases off ….. but all is good now….. !!!! Fingers crossed no leaks….. but i was very worried about the area around the steps….!!!

23A8DE4F-0F6F-434F-9DF6-5325140D8F44.jpegC7891FCF-CA4D-4295-9A4B-847CA144A1B5.jpegF637338F-EFA3-4515-B681-01F058951A81.jpeg

Attachments

• A4FADA4E-E95F-4FB0-8D42-C5F191A4DA67.jpeg
    A4FADA4E-E95F-4FB0-8D42-C5F191A4DA67.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Wow
Well done on getting those out!! Yeah they needed OUT!

How did you get them out?

Wonderful job getting the liner right back where it belonged! Good way to mark it and use of the spacers to hold the liner in place.

Kim:kim:

Well done on getting those out!! Yeah they needed OUT!
pretty sure there were about 4-5 of them would have punched through by the end of summer……. They were under the floor liner i put in, which is why i didnt feel them until the water had a chance to compress it…. Probably kept them from popping through….

i took a small box cutter and a head lamp….. and crawled under the liner from the corner- made a single cut in the foam and pulled them out….they were localized in two spots and both were within 6’ from the corner on a diagonal……. The one thing i was very cautious about was the stair way cutout…. I put some kettle bells and then come bagged sand to keep the liner pressure close to the wall so the corner of the bottom stair bracket wouldn’t pierce through….. we will find out if i was successful….

if it was going to leak anywhere in would be in that lower right side of the staircase!!!

when i got the liner reseated- the tape matched up within an 1/8” so i was satisfied
How did you get them out?

Wonderful job getting the liner right back where it belonged! Good way to mark it and use of the spacers to hold the liner in place.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have one rock under my liner in the shallow end. Its been there since the liner was replaced in 2019. I don’t have any underlament or anything between the liner and pool bottom. I hope it doesn’t poke though, but I kept the entire cut out from the stairs. I don’t think I would be able to reach it like you did. Why do you think they were going to poke though?

I have one rock under my liner in the shallow end. Its been there since the liner was replaced in 2019. I don’t have any underlament or anything between the liner and pool bottom. I hope it doesn’t poke though, but I kept the entire cut out from the stairs. I don’t think I would be able to reach it like you did. Why do you think they were going to poke though?
Well without sounding too engineery….. the viscosity of petroleum distillates and the coefficient of linear expansion change over time …… tires over time lose their integrity as the rubber starts to lose its malleability the side walls fail……. Like say….. caulking around a tub…. Temp, pressure, sunlight, and of course pool chemicals- its integrity is compromised….. and in my case- several of the rocks had pretty jagged edges…..

it was a trade off….. i would prefer to cut the liner and patch…. But i have a pool robot- and its a new liner…….(i patch it and my robot pulls it off…..)… maybe it lasts 3 years maybe 3 months….. but i know its there and it would really bug me….. So i thought i would just get on my hands and knees with a headlamp and make my way into the pool ……. And it appears to have worked pretty well

Last edited:
Reactions: Orion7319
Well without sounding too engineery….. the viscosity of petroleum distillates and the coefficient of linear expansion change over time …… tires over time lose their integrity as the rubber starts to lose its malleability the side walls fail……. Like say….. caulking around a tub…. Temp, pressure, sunlight, and of course pool chemicals- its integrity is compromised….. and in my case- several of the rocks had pretty jagged edges…..

it was a trade off….. i would prefer to cut the liner and patch…. But i have a pool robot- and its a new liner…….(i patch it and my robot pulls it off…..)… maybe it lasts 3 years maybe 3 months….. but i know its there and it would really bug me….. So i thought i would just get on my hands and knees with a headlamp and make my way into the pool ……. And it appears to have worked pretty well
I’m just worried that this rock is going to poke though on me one day. I have an unopened bottle of glue on hand just in case. Not looking forward to it if it does.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.