Pool Liner Issue

May 10, 2016
Wind Gap
This is the 3rd season that I've had my pool and gradually the liner below the skimmer basket has puckered and became extremely faded, thin and now has small rips in it. The rest of the liner is in great shape. Is this a chemical issue, liner issue, installation issue? I want to make sure I understand, before i go buying another liner.

thanks,

Tommy
IMG_2829.JPGIMG_2830.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2829.JPG
    IMG_2829.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2830.JPG
    IMG_2830.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 62
how are you chlorinating? looks like tablets in your skimmer basket and when its not running the super high chlorinated water is breaking down your liner. You also have an algae outbreak and need to SLAM. in order to do that you need to read up on pool school and get yourself a test kit

There's some good pictures here of what happens when you have trichlor tablets sitting in a skimmer basket. Both liner damage and plumbing line damage. Vinyl Pools, Pool Liners, Pool Service, Pool Renovations in Bucks County and Montgomery County | APCO Pools Specialties, Inc.

As Dan mentioned, trichlor tablets are acidic and create a super chlorinated environment, especially when the pump is off and the tablet is still dissolving. This is why many pool services that stuff your skimmers full of trichlor tablets instruct homeowners to run their pumps 24/7 as it reduces that problem, but does not eliminate it. It's also expensive (electricity) and not necessary to run your pump 24/7 for filtration. If pucks must be used, they should only be placed in a floater in the pool and monitored so they don't sit in one area.

i would suggest you get a new liner, and then read up on the TFP method (pool school link at top of page). We can help save you a lot of time and money and have an always clear pool. our method resolves around having an accurate test kit (TF100 is best value), and no, pool store testing is NOT accurate. we keep our chlorine levels based on the stabilizer (CYA) level, and we never need to shock the pool. we chlorine using liquid bleach (or saltwater systems).

if you are not interested in following the TFP method, thats fine too...but do yourself and get a floater to put those tablets in and stop ruining your liner :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.