Pool lights

MJuric

Aug 19, 2016
Byron, Il
We have an in ground pool. I had the light apart once and I believe it is a standard 120V screw in bulb.

Last year we had the linear replaced and they replaced the light. This spring I turned it on and it worked. the next time I turned it on...nada.

It's not like we had the light on all the time, I'd guess probably less than 10 hours total usage. A couple questions.

Is it normal that these lights don't last that long?

I would like to have one of those cool multi color ones that I could change colors and patterns but the last time I checked into this there where not many options unless you wanted to replace the wiring which I definitely do NOT want to do. Are there any neat options out there for this these days? Do these LED bulbs last any longer?

Finally is there anything I should be looking for that would cause the bulbs to not last very long? Obviously a leak would be an issue but I won't know that until I pull it out...and the water temp is 62 degrees so I'm not jumping anytime soon to pull the bulb.

Thanks

The light should have lasted longer than that. It is the newer LED lights are the ones that don't last that long.............the burrrrr water does say wait.............once you can stand to put your hands in the water then pull the light and see if it did leak. Goodluck!

When you say it does not work, does that mean the bulb burned out again? Or did a GFCI possibly trip and cause no power to light?

For replacing the light with LED, in theory it should not be that difficult if you can find a direct replacement. If the wiring was done correctly on your existing light, it should be a continuous wire from the light to the junction box. Turn off power, disconnect from junction box, tie some electricians fish tape, pull line, or paracord to the end of the wires. Pull out the light and wire along with the cord. Measure the length of the existing cord. Order a new light with the correct length cord. Remember, there is supposed to be an extra 6 feet on the end of the cord where the light is so that you can unscrew the light and pull it out of niche to work at it on the deck.

Also, the light should not be turned on if it is out of the water (except for a second or two to check operation).

When you say it does not work, does that mean the bulb burned out again? Or did a GFCI possibly trip and cause no power to light?

For replacing the light with LED, in theory it should not be that difficult if you can find a direct replacement. If the wiring was done correctly on your existing light, it should be a continuous wire from the light to the junction box. Turn off power, disconnect from junction box, tie some electricians fish tape, pull line, or paracord to the end of the wires. Pull out the light and wire along with the cord. Measure the length of the existing cord. Order a new light with the correct length cord. Remember, there is supposed to be an extra 6 feet on the end of the cord where the light is so that you can unscrew the light and pull it out of niche to work at it on the deck.

Also, the light should not be turned on if it is out of the water (except for a second or two to check operation).

I believe that the entire pool is on a single circuit/Breaker coming from the house. The pump is still working so I do not think the GFI is popped. I did not see any additional GFI breakers at the pool although maybe there is one in the junction box.

Light is in the pool and yes I don't turn it on when it's not underwater, save to test as you stated.

I'll look into replacing the wire. Would be fun to have a neat LED light that could be operated remotely, via Alexa, phone etc.

Thanks

The light should have lasted longer than that. It is the newer LED lights are the ones that don't last that long.............the burrrrr water does say wait.............once you can stand to put your hands in the water then pull the light and see if it did leak. Goodluck!

I'm pretty sure this was a non LED and not at all confident it did not leak. The company that replaced the liner did less than stellar work so it would not surprise me to find out that they light leaked as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.