Pool Lighting Junction box

pskkd930

In The Industry
Jan 19, 2022
Atlanta
What is everyone using for a junction box at the equipment pad, especially if you have more than 4 pool lights? The Intermatic boxes seem to top out at 4 lights with one additional option that will handle 5 with a transformer built in.

My understanding is the non-metalic low voltage lights do not have to be bonded, so does the j-box have to be listed as a "pool" box or can any plastic box work? My goal is to not have multiple boxes just for 6 lights.

What is everyone using for a junction box at the equipment pad, especially if you have more than 4 pool lights? The Intermatic boxes seem to top out at 4 lights with one additional option that will handle 5 with a transformer built in.

Use two boxes.
My understanding is the non-metalic low voltage lights do not have to be bonded, so does the j-box have to be listed as a "pool" box or can any plastic box work?

Ask your local electrical inspector if he will approve the box you want to use.

My goal is to not have multiple boxes just for 6 lights.
We often have to compromise our goals.

Thanks for the quick reply. For sure on the compromises. I just haven't seen any pictures of multiple junction boxes on any of the pads I've looked at so I was hoping maybe I'm missing something. Will definitely follow-up with the electrician as well

Most pools don’t need more then 4 lights.

If you browse deep in the pics in the media section you will see pics of pools with two junction boxes.

Thanks, will take a look. In our case the pool is about 650 square feet. Using the formula I found on the Pentair light page, I came up with 5 lights for the pool plus one for the spa. I agree 5 for the pool may be too high so I'm thinking 4 for the pool and 1 for the spa currently. One of the lights will be on the tanning shelf which is only 7 feet deep. I'm afraid just having two more lights in the pool wouldn't be enough

Depends on the size of the lights. The smaller lights need more of them.

Pool junction boxes came from an era before small LED lights. They have not been redesigned for many small lights and may never be.

Thanks, will take a look. In our case the pool is about 650 square feet. Using the formula I found on the Pentair light page, I came up with 5 lights for the pool plus one for the spa. I agree 5 for the pool may be too high so I'm thinking 4 for the pool and 1 for the spa currently. One of the lights will be on the tanning shelf which is only 7 feet deep. I'm afraid just having two more lights in the pool wouldn't be enough
Our pool just has two 4x4 gang boxes with 3 conduit runs into each from the lights in my pool... then they are tied together to the 12 volt transformer... sort like these things

Reactions: Foxer
You can see my junction box in this pic, to the right of the filter. I have 4 lights, and there is easily room to add a couple more entries to the bottom.

I don't know what brand it is, and the weather is Crud at the moment, so can't really get out to check. I can check as soon as the weather cooperates.

--Jeff

Attachments

• New pool plumbing.JPG
    New pool plumbing.JPG
    426.3 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: Foxer

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.