Pool Light Transformer Voltage

I believe so. I was able to glue to porcelain pieces back together and reinstall it. That part looks good now. Got a new bulb and put it in, and it lit right up.

My only concern is why my old brass socket connector got melted into the socket. I'm thinking some water got in there somewhere? I wouldn't expect that to happen due to just being old. As a precaution, I plan to epoxy where the conduit enters the fixture even though it doesn't appear to leaking (haven't performed a dye test or anything.)

If that doesn't fix it, then I have a leak somewhere in the conduit line. But I would think my conduit line would be filled with water then and I would see it at my junction box.

I wouldn't use epoxy. Think about if you ever have to change the wires. It will be ****. Use duct seal aka potting compound. You can get it at home Depot, or electrical supply. It is like clay and it will harden. And you will be able to get it out later

Alright. I'm trying to research on where else it could be leaking. I know one place is where the wiring enters the fixture, but I hear that it could be inside the niche as well. I'm trying to find a diagram on how the conduit and everything is setup to learn from.

The only thing I'm unclear on is:

The group of wires (in black insulation) coming from the fixture is fed through the niche. This then going into PVC/Conduit up to the junction box. Is there anything that keeps the water from going up to the junction box besides the water line being below the junction box? I don't appear to see anything in the back of the niche other than a small hole where the black insulation is being fed to the junction box. If all this stands true, where else would water be leaking? I'm assuming between where the PVC first connects to the niche, but I don't see how this would affect the light socket.

For my old bulb, it looks like the bottom was melted and heavily corroded, which made the bulb base break off from the bulb. Just trying to figure out the cause of this..
I don't think too much voltage was given as my transformer was bad (from the start of this post) and only giving off 7V. It seems like the contacts were getting too hot and melting it. Bad fixture? Even though it puts off the correct amount of voltage?

I believe my niche is a Hayward SP-580.

After research and talking to a knowledgeable friend. Going to try to seal up the point where wires enter the fixture (I believe this is where water is entering, if at all.) Also going to try to rebuild the socket since this one is heavily corroded. Will post results when done.

Alright. I'm trying to research on where else it could be leaking. I know one place is where the wiring enters the fixture, but I hear that it could be inside the niche as well. I'm trying to find a diagram on how the conduit and everything is setup to learn from.

The only thing I'm unclear on is:

The group of wires (in black insulation) coming from the fixture is fed through the niche. This then going into PVC/Conduit up to the junction box. Is there anything that keeps the water from going up to the junction box besides the water line being below the junction box? I don't appear to see anything in the back of the niche other than a small hole where the black insulation is being fed to the junction box. If all this stands true, where else would water be leaking? I'm assuming between where the PVC first connects to the niche, but I don't see how this would affect the light socket.

For my old bulb, it looks like the bottom was melted and heavily corroded, which made the bulb base break off from the bulb. Just trying to figure out the cause of this..
I don't think too much voltage was given as my transformer was bad (from the start of this post) and only giving off 7V. It seems like the contacts were getting too hot and melting it. Bad fixture? Even though it puts off the correct amount of voltage?

I believe my niche is a Hayward SP-580.

Keeping the water out of the junction box is called gravity

Corrosion at any electrical contact point with cause a bad connection which will cause the point to arc a little which due to the increased resistance will heat, which will causes more corrosion, which causes a worse connection, etc.... you get the idea.... clean up the contacts and you should be fine

Issue solved (for now).

Ended up following this thread:Amerilite Pool Light Leaks. A Fix and what I've learned

G-Flex epoxy is good stuff but can be very messy! Got everything back together and appears to be working without leaks.

My only concern is the socket wasn't in the best of shape. Couldn't get the screws out to replace it due to heavy rust/corrosion, so just cleaned them up with vinegar mixture, and applied some bulb grease to prevent corrosion.

If light happens to go out, I'll post back but it's working for the time being.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.