pool light and swtich issue

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all,

I'm visiting my brother in P. AZ, and he has an issue w his pool light not working.

Enclosed are pics of the make/model of light and the switch.

Here's what I know:

-When you press the switch, it does not stay in either position, it cannot lock in either on or off
-Light has never worked, has had house for 4 yrs [not noted on orig inspection]
-The switch has 4 wires:
*the red wire is terminated into wire nut [not used]
*the white is tied into 2 neutrals on top
*the blue wire is attached to the black wire on top - the black wire is from the conduit feeding the switch
*the black wire is tied to a red wire going down the conduit w the switches.

This was all wired by the previous owner that was supposed to have been an electrician [cannot contact him].

I don't have access to volt/ohm meter, but trying to seek advice from you guys to determine what could be the problem?

Since the switch seems to be bad [it will not stay locked in either on or off, like it's lost it's locking ability], I'm thinking to replace the switch. If so, does anyone have a recommendation on a make/model and how the wiring on the proposed switch should be attached to current wiring? let me know if you have any questions or need add's pics?

Thank you and pls advise,
tstex

Attachments

• tims light.jpg
    tims light.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 67
  • tims light2.jpg
    tims light2.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 68
  • timsswitch.jpg
    timsswitch.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 66
  • timsswitch2.jpg
    timsswitch2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 67
  • timsswitch3.jpg
    timsswitch3.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 67
  • timsswitch4.jpg
    timsswitch4.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 66
With a 3-way switch, I was thinking there had to be something else otherwise the switch would have been a single pole...here what he has inside house...anyone seen one of these before?

Attachments

• timr.jpg
    timr.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 62
  • timr2.jpg
    timr2.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 61
  • timr3.jpg
    timr3.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 63
X-10 is an older technology that use existing home wiring ie your 120 volt primary wires as a remote control for devices.

It sends a low voltage signal to trigger another x-10 device. So 1 X-10 remote and 1 or many x-10 receivers.

In your case I would ditch the x-10 and just use a standard 120 on/off switch or a spring timer switch were you can set a time 30 to 60 minutes for the lights to stay on.

So the wiring should be (leave the whites together) and then attach the black to the switch -0- or power in and power out.

Just turn the breaker off and swap out the switch with a $3.00 simple switch - then if needed replace the bulb. Just make sure the niche is underwater when you test it.

b

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.