Pool Light and GFCI Outlet Wiring questions.

dapoop84

Mar 28, 2021
Florida
Hello All, I just bought a house with a pool and have been slowly learning how to care for it. I have the water chemistry on point and its crystal clear.

My issue is with the pool light. I have not been able to get it to work yet (only been in the house 2 months).

From my hunting, it has a 300watt transformer. It is getting power to it, but not sending power on to the light. So that is probably bad and needs to be replaced. Also the GFCI outlet is not working as it should. I believe the wiring is not correct. I just replaced the outlet and wired it up exactly as it was wired. The small LED light on the GFCI outlet does not light up green like it should.

The Top Left timer controls the pool light. The middle breaker is labeled Pool Light, the lower breaker is Labeled Outlet.

Before i purchase a new transformer, i want to figure out why the GFCI isn’t working correctly And see if that could be playing a part in the light not working.
Looking at the attached photo the pool light breaker is on #1 of the timer, #2 goes to the transformer.
The outlet breaker and the GFCI outlet are both connected to #3 on the timer. That i think is where my issue is and i do not know how it is suppose to be properly wired.

I would think that the GFCI outlet should be between the breaker and timer, not with it. Any help is much appreciated

Thanks,

Attachments

• 125BB357-1AD8-4D84-A1F6-C14C216D9E73.jpeg
    125BB357-1AD8-4D84-A1F6-C14C216D9E73.jpeg
    398 KB · Views: 51

That GFCI has nothing to do with your light..

If you have a pool rated low voltage pool light, I do not believe that you are required to have it GFCI protected, like you would if it were a 120 volt pool light.

Your current GFCI just protects the outlet itself.

Tell me how you tested the transformer's output as they rarely go bad..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the quick response.

I used a Klein Voltage tester. The kind that flash and beep when it detects voltage.

Here is a Link. It might not be the best tool to use. Maybe the voltage coming from the transformer is to low for the tool to detect it. I didn’t even think of that possibility.

I have a multimeter packed up somewhere. I will hunt for it.

The pool light is one of the Pentair LED boards. I am not sure of the age, but i have read that they have a short life span.

Thanks,

Yeah, you've got to use a real voltmeter to test the transformer output.. The transformer could be bad, but I too suspect the light itself.. LED pool light seem to last about 20 seconds :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Got my meter and tested the transformer. I'm getting 12v out, so that's a good thing.

Next step would be to pull the light and test the voltage there. More than likely its the LED board.

Any recommendations on a replacement instead of the Intellibrite? Should I go with the one from Florida Sun Seekers?

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Sorry, I don't have any recommendations.. I have heard good things about the Sun Seekers, but have never seen nor used one..

Glad your transformer was good..

I can't tell from your pic if the actual wires from the light come into your panel, or if there is junction box in-between. The wires from the light itself do not look like house wiring, more like an extension cord wire..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

I ended up getting the Sun Seekers replacement and so far everything is working correctly. Since the old LED board was dead, I do not have anything to compare the Sun Seekers LED board too. But the wife approves and as far as I am concerned that is all that matters.

In regards to the wiring, there is a small junction box just below the panel in the picture where the wires from the panel connect to the wires running to the pool.

Thanks again for your help and direction.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.