Pool leak, suspected skimmer line.

M1Garand

Aug 3, 2019
NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Had liner replaced this year and noticed i was loosing about 1/2 of water a day. pool company came out and checked everything out and could not find a leak. had me block both skimmers off and the leaking stopped per the bucket test. determined with the shallow end plugged the leaking stopped. When it was leaking i had no air in my skimmer but with the shallow end skimmer plugged i had air. about 10 days later i noticed i was loosing water again and the air is gone again from the system. So now i am at a loss to what is going on. I would think that a skimmer line leak would have air in the line and loose vacuum? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TFP.

Need lots of details about your pool. Type of pool? Type of skimmers? Type of plumbing? Age of pool? What is the run from the skimmers to the pump?

Pictures may help us understand your situation.

It is an inground 18X36 pool with 2 skimmers and 3 returns. Not sure of the age but i would say 30 years or older. It has 3 lines back to the pad for each skimmer and main drain. Deep end skimmer is on one line and the main drain and shallow end skimmer or on a diverter valve together. As far as plumbing i am not sure we just moved here a year ago, however in the back of the deep end skimmer there is an 1 1/2" opening for a drain. I did did behind the skimmer and the drain just ends about 2 feet past the deck. I put a cap on the end of the drain and and skimmer plunger inside of the overflow drain inside of the skimmer. Again any help is appreciated.

about 10 days later i noticed i was loosing water again and the air is gone again from the system.

What skimmer configuration were you running in 10 days later.

You blocked both skimmers off and leak stopped.

You plugged just shallow skimmer and leak stopped.

What happens when you plug deep end skimmer and just run on shallow skimmer?

Is your main drain on during these skimmer tests?

The Main drain has always been on. Both skimmers plugged no leak, deep end un plugged no leak, both skimmers unplugged it leaked. I plugged the the shallow end and had no leaking for 10 days. i have not tried blocking just the deep end i might do that tomorrow.

Turn off your main drain and isolate each skimmer line individually and see when you get water loss. Make sure your pump can get sufficient water with the main drain off.

With the main drain off and the deep end skimmer open and shallow end closed it leaked. I hope the deep end didnt develop a leak also. I capped both skimmers and going to run off main drain and see if it still leaks. I would think with a leak there would be air in the line. What is strange is when the leak stopped for 10 days i had air in the pump now there is no air and i am leaking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Many pools have only one skimmer. Running with your main drain and one skimmer should be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.