Pool leak around light nich

Oct 11, 2015
Dallas tx
Hello,

In need of a little help here. Just had my gunite pool/spa replastered and notice my spa losing water more than usual. Drained the spa down to check the pool light conduit and niche.When I took the light out noticed a stream of water coming into the pool from around the niche ring wherethe light screws in at the 6 o’clock position. I tried putting some of my atlas pool epoxy into the hole but it just gets pushed out and a bubble pops up over the water and it contintues to allow water in.

Thought- I assume this must be where the leak is. I am guessing when it’s full there is more pressure to push water out than an, and the water coming out now is what has leaked below the spa and hasn’t been absorbed into the soil yet. It has been coming out for 12 hours now slowly
Any type of product suggestion that could help seal this besides putty? Doesn’t seem to stand up the pressure very well. I think it will work if the water stops coming in but I don’t want to have to leave my 45 day old pool plaster exposed to the elements that long.

Attachments

• 9475A05F-81F2-458B-962D-A4B7BD967A98.jpeg
    9475A05F-81F2-458B-962D-A4B7BD967A98.jpeg
    333.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 007651BE-2A71-4A49-B6F0-2A2D2FBE36D3.jpeg
    007651BE-2A71-4A49-B6F0-2A2D2FBE36D3.jpeg
    254.5 KB · Views: 19
Thanks. It’s been 48 hours and water still is slowly trickling out. At this point I am going to try and just wait until the water stops and try my epoxy putty. I haven’t been able to find anything that can work against pressure.

Water is allowed to get into the niche and into the conduit. It's not allowed to get into the bulb housing itself, of course. Presumably there is a junction box at the far end of the conduit that is high enough above water that it stays dry where the wires are.

You might want to figure out where the water is going and plug it from the other end. I had that problem a while back and once I found the other end of the leak, a big old glob of silicone goop plugged it right up.

Little update. Talked to a pool leak company today and the tech asked how old my pool putty was. About 3 years. He recommend getting some new stuff as the shelf life is not great. I bought a new set and so far it has stopped the leak even with the ground water pressure trying to push out. Knock on wood it holds as I refilled this even and will see

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.