Pool leak after filter sand change?

Sep 2, 2014
NY
Hi all - I could use some advice. I had a company out to change the sand in my filter and immediately afterwards there have been cascading issues including, (1) a failed pool pump part literally a few hours later; (2) heating regulator stopped functioning within a day or two; (3) leaking from our Calorex dehumidifying unit (we have an indoor pool). (4) And now, most concerningly, it looks like the pool itself has sprung a significant leak. Ever since the sand change the pool has been unable to get to appropriate level. Upon turning the autofill off, I'm losing about half a tile per day.

The one thing I know the pool guy did wrong was that he failed to turn a valve during the backwash that protects the Calorex unit. When I first purchased this house I was told that there are two valves that need to be turned during backwash, and if the second one is not properly shut, then there will be massive pressure on the Calorex unit. This at least resulted in problem #3 above (backwashed water went into the unit and caused the pan to overflow for a few days after the sand change).

However, now I have a pool leak. Is it coincidence? The pool company says that the pump and heating issues are certainly coincidences, and of course they will say the same about the pool leak. But that is a LOT of coincidences happening right after the sand change. Any advice/thoughts on whether these could be related? More specifically - any guidance on where to start thinking/looking for a leak - if it does have some connection to the filter change - that might help mitigate the costs of investigation?

I agree you have some wonky things happening all at once. :scratch: I'm going to send up a flare to @1poolman1 to see if he has any tips about the Calorex unit and it's role in this issue. It might help if you post some pics of your equipment pad so we can see everything from a couple angles.

Reactions: bawnie15
Sorry, in all the time I have been doing this work I have seen 2 natatoriums, neither with dehumidifiers. The one that really needed it, a heated health club, had severe rust damage on virtually every part of the huge room.

It is possible that, while changing the sand, the motor was flooded, seen it happen. The heater issue shouldn't have any connection to the sand change. Losing that much water means that a leak detection company should be called ASAP. It has to be going somewhere and can cause more damage to the house if it is getting under it. Saw an inground spa leak cause the collapse of a good section of the deck around it.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thanks @1poolman1. This is the equipment. The dehumidifer's pan is definitely overflowing, but I'm guessing that can't be the source of the 'leak.' The pool company told me to let the pool leak down and see where it stops; it might provide some guidance as to where the leak is. Is that a bad idea? Definitely don't want my house collapsing in....

Only other thought that occurred to me is that when the pool was off for a couple days following the sand replacement (while the pump wasn't working), I had "Pawly" (my Dolphin robot) working non-stop to keep water flowing. Could he have somehow damaged, or knocked a light out of place that could have created the leak?

Attachments

• IMG-4132.jpg
    IMG-4132.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-4131.jpg
    IMG-4131.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-4130.jpg
    IMG-4130.jpg
    459.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-4129.jpg
    IMG-4129.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-4128.jpg
    IMG-4128.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-4127.jpg
    IMG-4127.jpg
    473 KB · Views: 5
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.