Pool Landscaping

Sollace

Gold Supporter
Aug 16, 2020
Bryan TX
I'm not sure if there's a section dedicated to this topic or if it's somewhere buried under an 'Everything Else.'

Landscaping can be really involved. I'd be curious to know about plants that do well around pools. Tolerate pool spills. Evergreens. Sturdy plants that tolerate various planting zones, easy to grow, provide shade, or have a nice floral scent. A lush backdrop to showcase the pool. Those with fewer leaves ending up in the pool.

Those new to pools may be new to landscaping ideas, not just what to plant but what works. Some may have tried different plants and given up. Others may find something successful and want to share. Some may not want plants but want to know about gravel, mulch, and yard drainage.

Anyway, I thought it'd be a suggestion, maybe a topic to pursue. I wish some of these horticultural Youtube sensations would discuss the ins and outs of pool plants. Maybe it's there someplace, I keep getting distracted by all the other plant videos.

Reactions: twirlyjack
I will say you don't want too much in the scent range if its gonna attract Bees. Perhaps your local Extension Agent can suggest what does well in your area?

Don't use dyed fake mulch because the dye gets into the water if the mulch does. We've read of that problem here before.

If possible put a hose bib down near the pool area for watering flowers, particularly pots as they dry out quickly.

If I think of other stuff I'll spin back.....

Maddie

Reactions: twirlyjack
We had lantanas and Mexican heather mixed together in a large area about seven feet from the pool. Yellow and purple and it worked. I can't remember if there were bees or not but the section gave the back yard an English garden feel. Around the pool we planted canna lilies.

The only time we had trouble with landscaping was when using PVC sprayers to try and cool the pool water. Wind would blow the spray onto surrounding plants and they didn’t like it. I didn’t put 2 and 2 together until after we got the chiller and over the next couple of years, those plants got healthy again.

Thank you. The low grass by the deck "Big Blue" liriope. The flowers by the wall are "Becky" shasta daisies. The tallest flower stalks are standard yucca filamentaosa. Many varieties of coneflowers in the middle. There are bees (and butterflies and goldfinches) everywhere on the flowers, but almost never on the deck. There is a row of "Winter Gem" boxwood that will form a hedge eventually in an arc in the middle of the flowers. Hibiscus (Lady Baltimore and Lord Baltimore) are in the back but not shown yet in that picture. They don't start growing until May here. And the tallest in the back are "Herbstonne" rudbeckia nitida.

Reactions: Watershow
Just check your zone for plants and how hardy they are for your climate. For example I tried growing shasta daisies in zone 9a and couldn't. Best to buy one or two plants, see how they do, and branch out from there. Of course I should take my own advice. I wanted to try different plants and spent over $100 on a mail order. They came fine but the roots were so spindly. The plants didn't thrive and didn't survive. I lost all of them. So experiment, try something, see if it works, and then go invest. Sometimes the plants do well but not in the spot you put them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.