Pool is losing about 1" of water every 5 days

rdelisa

Bronze Supporter
Sep 16, 2017
Arvada
My pool is losing water; about 1" every five days even with the solar cover on 24x7.

I just ordered a gasket replacement for my sta-rite mutli-valve port. I plan on replacing the gasket, o-rings, and spring. They have never been replaced before and this seems like the most logical thing to try first.
Does this sound reasonable?

A leaking valve would be visible?
Do a leak test, but from what you describe a leak is very likely. That's about what I was loosing. Suspect is around the skimmer
Last year. I cleaned the pool, backwashed it and put the port back on filter. After about a half-hour I lost about 6 inches of water. I filled the pool back up, tightened the bolts around the gasket, and reseated it firmly. That solved the severe issue, but the slow leak has continued ever since. That is why I suspect it might be the gasket or something among the assembly of it. I will replace that tomorrow and if that doesn't solve it I will do the leak test which is nearly impossible to do during a full time job! :)

Check out the article below. Try the bucket test to confirm a leak.

Thanks, I will try this if needed. Since I've already ordered the parts, I will replace them and see if that solves the problem before I take that next step.

As it turns out, my instincts were correct. The valve gasket was not seated properly so water was escaping from the filter into waste port. I was losing water simply because the gasket was not seated properly. I lubed up the new gasket and firmly seated it in place and 1 week later with the cover on the water has not leaked a bit!