Pool is light green. Chlorine is 13 all other levels balanced. Copper? Chlorine block?

Rarecandy

Jun 5, 2021
New Jersey
The pool is an above ground oval, everything is vinyl or plastic. I opened it June 5th and the level was very low possibly the pump that clears the cover was draining some pool water too. We use well water to fill the pool and the first day or two it was a beautiful clear blue but I did not have my TF100 kit yet. It then became green and there was algae on the bottom that I vacuumed and shocked. Due to the way my pump filter is designed, I have to vacuum directly into the filter. The pool was still light green days later so I opened the filter which was green and cleaned it well, shocked again, and after a couple of days while waiting for my TF100 to arrive I got a test done by Leslie's. The pool was just opened and only shocked so the levels were abysmal but they were as follows:

Leslie's test on June 13th after only shocking and opening:
FC 14.59
TC 15
PH 7.3
TA 38
CH 13
CYA 21
Copper 0.3
Phosphates 1436

I immediately brought the CYA and TA up. The chlorine only dropped 1 since their test so maybe I shouldn't have added the CYA yet.

TF-100 kit June 15th:
FC 13
CC 13.5
PH 7.2
TA 70
CYA 50
CH 50

It's been bright and sunny, I use liquid chlorine, so I'm hoping the excess chlorine just burns off. But I do not know why the pool is still green other than maybe the copper being a little high. We've always refilled with well water without issue. And it's not some well in the mountains it's a suburb and we use well for our sprinkler system and to top off the pool every season, never had an issue. Not sure what else could be going on, my dad mentioned chlorine block and to add Pool Dechlorinator Sodium Thiosulfate Pentahydrate from amazon.

Kinda stuck! Any advice would help.

Is the water cloudy and green, or emerald green and clear? Emerald green and clear can be a sign of copper in the pool.

How were you chlorinating the pool last season?

It doesn't sound like you completed the SLAM Process. You can SLAM with a CYA of 50, it will just take a bit more chlorine at first to reach FC Slam level. The other option is drain off some water to get CYA down 30 and SLAM from there.

Let us know how we can help.

Best not to follow dad's advice...although I'm sure he means well.

Right after I posted this I found I was reading the slam chart incorrectly and my app wasn't updating with my levels so I thought I was out of slam range.

First thing I'm going to do is slam, looks like I just need about a gallon and an ounce to do so.

Last season was mostly liquid chlorine with a few occasions of tabs due to shortages.

I would say the pool is more of like the inside of a lime. It's a very light hue of green almost a bluish and it looks like it's swimming, it's clear. I believe emerald is a lot darker than what I'm looking at but judging by some pictures you can make the argument it's emerald. The Leslie's test did say I was 0.1 ppm high on copper.

Make sure you read the article and follow directions closely. SLAMming is more than raising levels to shock level. You need to maintain those levels by testing every couple hours and increasing FC back to SLAM level. Do this until the pool is clear and you pass the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

Make sure you read the article and follow directions closely. SLAMming is more than raising levels to shock level. You need to maintain those levels by testing every couple hours and increasing FC back to SLAM level. Do this until the pool is clear and you pass the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.
I've been maintaining shock level and watching overnight loss.

Currently I'm sitting at 22FC with no loss and my CC 0.5 or less. My water is clear but it is a light green. I'm starting to lean towards this being copper at this point since the test showed 0.3ppm but even that isn't really that high. There's no stains, just a light green tinge.

If crystal clear and that light green, then let the FC drop to target and see if the green goes away. Elevated FC levels will oxidize the metals.

The best thing to do with copper is to drain the pool and start with fresh water. In your case, you can drain down to 1 foot left in the pool and refill.

If crystal clear and that light green, then let the FC drop to target and see if the green goes away. Elevated FC levels will oxidize the metals.

The best thing to do with copper is to drain the pool and start with fresh water. In your case, you can drain down to 1 foot left in the pool and refill.
I think the copper is in the water because I filled with well water so it probably has additional metals.

Currently living I see drop to normal levels to see what happens I think it'll at least be swimmable playing if she gets down around 4, currently sitting at 17.5.

It is swimmable now. Your FC of 17.5 is under your SLAM level FC of 20 ppm with a CYA of 50.

The metals will not bother those swimming - unless it is copper and turns blonde hair green.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.