Pool installed in 1988, would you replace?

Decoy205

Silver Supporter
Jan 11, 2022
Central NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All, I’m still very green to pool ownership so I’m second guessing everything right now.

We bought the house last summer, it had a 21’ x 48” round AGP. We used it a few times. I closed it in October. In December I realized it was leaking as the water level dropped to 1’.

I was able to pull the permits for when it was installed. It was installed in April 1988. It also
Had the brochure on the paperwork. It is a Doughboy timberline.

A few things I know. 1.

The bottom of the pool is dished out in the center and goes to about 5 ‘ deep. I’m not sure if that was intentional or the previous owner didn’t bother to level and replace sand when they last changed the liner.

2. I see rust at the base of the wall near where the return and skimmer are. It doesn’t come up more than an inch. Doesn’t go all the way around the outside as far as I can see.

3. The wall where the return goes in is cracked. It’s Damaged and held together with a bunch of clear silicone. They also used the silicone to seal the fitting. I can see rust behind it too, I wouldn’t be able to remove the fitting probably without more damage to that area. The damage goes down about 6-8”.

So I need to definitely replace the liner and most likely some pool base, but if you had a 34 year old pool what would you do? Should I get the replacement going?

I already pulled the permit paperwork so if I’m lucky I can get it going in may. But I would need to order the pool asap.

Cost for replacement will be:
The new pool? 2500-3500?
labor. $2100 is based on one over the phone estimate,
Permits 650-700 for all.

The the deck is also a bit outta date and will most likely need replacing but I can probably hold off on that.

What would you do? Appreciate the advice and thank you.

-John

Doughboy pools from long ago were the gold standard of pools back then and now but you pay for what you get.. I doubt very much you can find any kind of replacement parts for that model.. You can call Doughboy and see.. Doughboy pools have expandable liners and can have a deep middle or side in the pool.. You can still get that type liner from them... A pool lasting over 30 years is on borrowed time even as a gold standard pool..

Now Doughboy has all resin pools that will last just about forever as there is nothing to rust.. Some have a stainless section that should last a very long time that the pipes and skimmer go through...

Reactions: Decoy205
Wow, amazing that it is still standing. With all that rust on the outside the inside will be worse. Think about where that water goes when a kid pushes off the wall and it bursts.... then think about where the kid goes! I would definitely replace and am doing the same myself actually. I found some concerning size rust spots end of last pool season and one of them is now rusted through so I've drained it down to 6 inches just to prevent it from turning into a sail when a big gust comes through. Good luck!

Thanks Paul and Cowboy! I’m going to see if I can post up some pics today.

I’ve been reaching out to the company that’s booked to the liner replacement to get an estimate on the whole pool but they have not called me back. Could be on vacation this week but that’s concerning. If I need to update this pool. Which I’m strongly leaning towards I need to get it going asap.

They are probably jam packed with work as is every business out there right now.. with less people working and more people buying things they are just behind in everything... call around and get 5 quotes for the same exact pool that you want and hopefully you get back 2 or 3... :)

Doughboy pools from long ago were the gold standard of pools back then and now but you pay for what you get.. I doubt very much you can find any kind of replacement parts for that model.. You can call Doughboy and see.. Doughboy pools have expandable liners and can have a deep middle or side in the pool.. You can still get that type liner from them... A pool lasting over 30 years is on borrowed time even as a gold standard pool..

Now Doughboy has all resin pools that will last just about forever as there is nothing to rust.. Some have a stainless section that should last a very long time that the pipes and skimmer go through...

They have nothing to rust but they're made from plastic no? And plastic, at least most plastics do not like sunlight. They tolerate it but only for so long.

I'd bet an aluminum pool would outlast a resin pool.

They have nothing to rust but they're made from plastic no? And plastic, at least most plastics do not like sunlight. They tolerate it but only for so long.

I'd bet an aluminum pool would outlast a resin pool.
That is an interesting question... I have no idea what this type of resin is made from... I really doubt the sun will do anything to it considering it will have 100's of tons of water being held back and it will be in the sun all day.. :)

Sorry about that.. If UV would kill it they would never be able to sell it because it would fail and break.. Imagine them getting sued to death if that happened and would be the end of all the companies selling them and almost all companies are selling them now... :)

Sorry about that.. If UV would kill it they would never be able to sell it because it would fail and break.. Imagine them getting sued to death if that happened and would be the end of all the companies selling them and almost all companies are selling them now... :)

So what you're saying is they aren't able to sell steel pools because the wall and supports will rust causing it to fail and break and then they will get sued to death? :unsure:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
LOL, steel pools last just long enough to be out of warranty and that is how they get away with that, some do not even cover rust in the warranty.. All the Resin pools I have seen have a lifetime warranty, but who know exactly what that covers and I have not looked them up... :)

Reactions: cj133
LOL, steel pools last just long enough to be out of warranty and that is how they get away with that, some do not even cover rust in the warranty.. All the Resin pools I have seen have a lifetime warranty, but who know exactly what that covers and I have not looked them up... :)

Reminds me of a video card I had that came with a life time warranty.
After 3 years I tried to exchange it because it died and the manufacturer told me "That's a life time warranty, which means the life time of the product which is roughly 2 years". So, yeah...

Life time can mean a lot of things unfortunately.
I'd be surprised if any pool had more than a 10 year warranty that is actually useful. I think even Doughboy warranties are prorated. :(

dTE7W9p.jpg

bBr1uvR.jpg
epUOAD7.jpg

cm1r6Eh.jpg

Pics added. I think after all we are committed to a new pool. I don’t want anything bad to happen with my kids in this old pool. We also just moved here and would like to enjoy the summer. I called a local store and they have a couple of pools in stock. Out of the 3 21’ pools they had I’m leaning towards a Sharkline pool.

I also finally got a text back from the pool contractor I had boooked for the liner and they can do an estimate for the install but can’t come out until May 1st. So if I have to make a call on another installer to save a date I could lose time.

I also called two other installers. It’s crazy how different installers have vastly different terms.

The thing im most worried about the install is the length of time for permits etc and damage to my sprinkler system from the machines rolling over it. Last year I took down a dead tree near the pool. I think the bobcat cracked one of my sprinkler pipes. My water bill skyrocketed after that. I want to fix the pool before doing any sprinkler repair just in case.

Stress is mounting now. Too many variables for my liking.

I appreciate everyone’s advice and responses!

That is the best looking over 30 year old pool I have ever seen :) I have seen 12 year old pools with more rust and holes in them...

Is the liner leaking or is it leaking just at the through wall piece you are showing in the pictures?

Reactions: kne and Decoy205
Reminds me of a video card I had that came with a life time warranty.
After 3 years I tried to exchange it because it died and the manufacturer told me "That's a life time warranty, which means the life time of the product which is roughly 2 years". So, yeah...

Life time can mean a lot of things unfortunately.
I'd be surprised if any pool had more than a 10 year warranty that is actually useful. I think even Doughboy warranties are prorated. :(
Ha! We now sadly live in a disposable world. I’m convinced warranty’s are just for marketing nowadays. They make it so hard to actually get any benefit from them. I guess this pool
Lasted over 30 years because it was steel and cared for. Seems like if you get 15 with the stuff they make now you’re lucky.

That is the best looking over 30 year old pool I have ever seen :) I have seen 12 year old pools with more rust and holes in them...

Is the liner leaking or is it leaking just at the through wall piece you are showing in the pictures?

Yeah the previous owner took great care of it! They did most things in this home. That is one of the reasons I purchased the house I can see he was meticulous.

The currently liner- swimline mystri bottom - was installed in may 2020. I thought I’d get a couple of seasons out of it before having to pay up.

The liner is leaking from somewhere at around the 1 foot range as that’s where the water settled but with rain over the winter it’s hard to say exactly. My initial plan was just to replace the liner and stretch it a few more years.

Now I’m stuck between getting a new pool and chancing the liner.

We’re gonna go to the pool store today to look at the Sharkline in stock.

From the looks of the pool I would say a new liner would be easy and should be no problem at all.. Here is the kicker... If you pull the old liner off and the wall is almost all the way rusted through but I just do not see it from the outside and usually that is where you see it first.. With a new liner you can fix the through wall fitting and stop the leak there.. :)

What does everyone think of Sharkline pools? The ones the store has in stock is the Summerfield and the Escalade.

That's basically the same brand I have, I think made by Wilbur?

They're good for the money, real good, but it wouldn't last 30 years even as a pile of rusty metal in a land fill.
I expect about 10 years. So far, I'm on the third year and the only damage is caused by me removing / installing stairs, and drilling holes for the solar cover reel which I ditched. So, I'd probably buy another when the time comes.

Wilbur does make an all aluminum pool which looks very good as far as longevity but it's not cheap. I think it uses extruded aluminum panels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.