Pool installation

angiern2004

May 4, 2020
Northern CA
I recently had another thread about putting in a pool in a rocky side yard of our house. I scored a 14' by 42" pool for a great price, so I need to rethink where I'm going to put it.

Is it still possible to install on a rocky side yard if it will fit? My old thread has pictures.

Can I install it with it overlapping a border of the yard and grass with a mow strip in between? If I somehow put down material to bring that to level with the mow strip, is that possible?

If I have to put in on an area of lawn: I've seen videos where the people lay down the interlocking foam mat then a tarp, on top of the grass in their yard. I was really hoping I could go this route. Do the legs of this size pool need to be on pavers? I'm looking for the easiest and most cost efficient base/set up for this size pool.

Wanted to add, I'm sure there's info here in the forums somewhere, but I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. :cool: Even links would be helpful.

I also wanted to add that it will be up just for this summer, or a portion of this summer. It's not going to be set up permanently, if that helps figure out what I have to do that is necessary.

I can't figure out exactly what kind of foam I'd be looking at. Is this kind of foam ok? Can I just use a Gorilla liner (or something similar from the pool supply store)?

And do I need the pavers under the legs of the frame? Or is that just for the much larger above ground pools? We have VERY hard ground (clay). We have leftover pavers from our patio. I think they are 2" thick. If I have to use pavers, can I just use those?

Last edited:
You will definitely want pavers under the legs, 4 inch think is what I would use, the ones you have might be ok on hard clay but why risk it, if they crack you may have to take it down and start over.

You are looking for rigid foam insulation, similar to what your link shows, but you don't need the faced stuff. Tarp goes on top of that. I've never used the gorilla pad but some folks here have and had good results.

I would read through some of the build threads on the site and see how others have done it. If you're only using it a couple months a year you may be OK with pavers and a gorilla pad. The setup isn't so overwhelming once you get started.

clay is nice and hard...until it gets wet, then your legs will sink in that sticky mud. use some kind of paver. the 2 inch stuff gets cracked as evidenced by many posts on this forum, but if you set them good and square in the soil they should work.

you don't need foam, a lot of people like the feel on their feet. I used it and am one that doesn't really like it, I probably would not use it again.

I used the kind like you linked to so that may add to my "disappointment" with it, but it will work. you need to triple tape it for sure or it will start to come apart and you will have crevasses. and then trim it close to the base of the pool because it will fall apart in the weather. just working with it you will have a lot of styrofoam all over your yard. LOL

use the google option when you do a search, it works better than the regular site search - click on the search bar and then enter your term(s), then click the "G" button.

For a very temporary pool, I wouldn't put money into the foam. The type of foam you would want is the extruded, not expanded. The extruded (xps) will not absorb water. I find it for around $14 for a 4/8 sheet that's 1/2 inch thick. Basically, the foam just gives the bottom of the pool a nice cushion feel. It's definitely not necessary. In your shoes, I'd level the ground and put in my pavers (you can also use pressure treated wood for under the legs. The instructions on the intex pool say to use wood,a nd that's what I did for two years. No issues and no cracking.) Dig in whatever you use so that it's level with the ground. Put down something to protect the liner...a tarp, gorilla pad, or something similar and then put up your pool. If you want somehting more under the liner, you can use sand. Sand is a whole lot cheaper than foam. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: sammckin

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I would need to buy a tarp, and that would be around $65, should I just spend a little extra and just do the anti-fatigue foam from Harbor Freight? I could do the foam with no tarp right?? Would I need to tape this foam? I have seen a youtube video where they do not tape this type of foam, but there is no "after" portion of the video where they talk about whether this did or didn't work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.