Pool Idea

s276474

Jul 26, 2021
North MO
Greetings-

I’m a newbie when it comes to pools and have enjoyed reading through the forums the last few days learning a good amount as I read along.

I am interested in putting in an in-ground pool behind my house. I will be on a budget so I’m going to have to get creative, release my inner redneck and also rely on some of you for some insight. I’ve contacted a few local builders, and if by local I mean 100 miles away due to my rural location, and they either don’t cover my area or the cost is just out of my league. My idea, and again, looking for insight and critics, but my idea is to use grain bin rings for an in-ground pool. Grain bins are plentiful around my area and would be easy and cheap to obtain. My plan is to try to find a roughly 30’ diameter grain bin to use for the pool. My plan is to excavate the hole, pour a concrete slab for the bin to sit on and be bolted down to, tar and bolt the sheets together, pour a concrete collar around the exterior, plumb and then backfill. I would need to find some type of coping to sit on top of the sheets. Also to my understanding I can custom order a liner in any dimension.

I know this is a very abbreviated synopsis but I just need to know if this is even feasible. I have many more questions but I just wanted to get my idea out there for folks that have pool experience can digest and give me some input. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Well hey there s276474 :wave: Welcome to Trouble Free Pools.

Your idea is great! We've had a few grain bins over the years. I think its creative way to do things. Here are some previous threads to give you ideas-

Keep us posted on your progress PLEASE!? We can help teach you all about water care and chemistry.

Maddie :flower:

Thank you for your response and the recommended reads. I had previously read the story on the 5 boys and a grain bin. Amazing story and quite an accomplishment. However, and correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't theirs an above ground pool? As far as the stock tank pools go, while I'd say it is similar to my idea but much, much easier and straight forward. I mean, stock tanks are basically pre-made pools. Like I said, there are some similarities but my idea is a much more involved project and a much larger scale.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.